Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

spark plugs and EGR

Visiting Guest

04-30-02, 06:25 AM   #1  
k_caroline
spark plugs and EGR

I have a 1986 Subaru GL 4x4 station wagon, 1800 cc engine, 4 cyl, 2.8L, manual transmission.
My question is on the drivers side the 2 spark plugs foul they become black and ruined, and have to be replaced but the other side spark plugs stay good . Also the EGR light stays on all the time i heard that after 100,000 miles this is normal and it stays on is this true (it only has 103,000 miles on it to date) oh and also the car doesn't get passed 55 mph sometimes it feels like it doesn't get enough power. could you please help as i am unexperienced with cars and mechanics in this town just don't know what it is!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

04-30-02, 06:37 AM   #2  
Joe_F
If you got this mileage out of an old Subaru, you are quite lucky. It likely has carburetion problems if it is carbed. They are quite pesky at this stage and age.

You need to tell us the last time the car has seen a full service. Fouled spark plugs could be anything from a bad cap, bad wires, or dead cylinders.

Need more information to help. Don't sink a lot of green into an old Subaru, they are lackluster cars that fall apart with age.

My .02

Visiting Guest

04-30-02, 06:46 AM   #3  
k_caroline
yes this car is carb , i took it to a mechanic a few days ago and told him of the problems i am having he was not very helpful he replaced all 4 spark plugs and said it might have internal engine problem hes exact words he said he could take it apart and look and see what he finds for $700 plus what ever the cost would be to replace parts. all hoses and parts look good on it, if it is something i could fix on my own for little cash i would like to coz the car is in very good shape body wise and inside and the engine seems clean, also is it true that the EGR light stays constantly on ,on this type of car after 100,000 miles subaru 19864x4 wagon , manual carb, 1800cc engine 4 cyl, 2.9L
if there is more information needed to help me please say what it is you need thanks

Visiting Guest

04-30-02, 08:15 AM   #4  
thekeymaker
you can also put on some spark plug non foulers but it wont fix the problem seems like you also might have a leak some where might want to consider buying a low mileage car or go to a better mechanic and see if its worth rebuilding how is the condition of the body etc.

Visiting Guest

04-30-02, 09:13 AM   #5  
Joe_F
If the car is fouling plugs, that is either due to a dead cylinder or carburetion troubles.

First things first. You should tune the vehicle up with all filters and tune up parts. Plugs, wires, cap, rotor, PCV, air, gas filter, oil change, etc. Start there. If the car has not been tuned in a while, start there.

A car that is out of tune will eventually plug up the converter and that could explain your loss of power. Subarus of this vintage are not worth much and you'll sink good money after bad on something like this, so watch what you spend on it.

A carburetor, if that is the problem is likely worth more than the vehicle. They are a bit difficult to rebuild. If you decide to tackle it, I would suggest you pick up the Subaru factory manual for it. You can probably find one used on the Internet quite reasonably.

If tuning it up doesn't help things, then you might do a compression check. If that reveals internal engine problems (low compression), then the mechanic is right. Frankly, it's not worth fixing. Pitch the car for something better.

Check the posts and links in my signature file for more ideas and tell us what you find once you read through that.

Visiting Guest

04-30-02, 12:21 PM   #6  
k_caroline
ok i didn't pay anything for the car , the body of the car is in great shape so is the interior, things i have already done to it and still have the problem have changed oil and oil filter, has a new dis cap, new spark plugs new wires, new front tyres, ok i am going to try putting on a new fuel filter and air filter and see wht happens then, will post and let you all know what happens, thanks for the advice will keep you posted.

Visiting Guest

04-30-02, 05:20 PM   #7  
thekeymaker
thanks for letting the people know here also you might want to check this site out www.autolibrary.org very informative and good luck on what your going to do to your car. Don,

Search this Thread