Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

flat tires

Visiting Guest

04-30-02, 06:38 AM   #1  
diemeto
flat tires

got a flat the other day and had to drive about 1/2 mile with the tire totally low to get to safety, obviously will check the rim but was wondering if I plug the small hole in the tread whether I can reuse the tire- both sidewalls are wavy when I refill it with air - I suspect I need a new tire - which leads to my next question - can I put one new tire (same make and model) on one wheel while the rest have 13k miles

thanks

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

04-30-02, 09:16 AM   #2  
Joe_F
A bulge in the sidewall could mean there is belt/tread separation. I wouldn't use it. Pitch it for a new tire.

You can also change the one tire that went flat and put it on with no problems with the others that have 13k on them.

Visiting Guest

04-30-02, 11:29 AM   #3  
diemeto
thanks, that is what I thought. no use risking a blowout on the highway for the 100 bucks the tire will cost

Visiting Guest

04-30-02, 04:00 PM   #4  
rickwhoo
a buldge in the sidewall is not a belt or tread separation, it is a break on the sidewall inside the tire that makes the outside buldge.

LA

04-30-02, 06:37 PM   #5  
Don't you have belts in the sidewalls of tires?

Visiting Guest

05-01-02, 08:12 PM   #6  
rickwhoo
no, the steel belts are inside on the tread only not on the side.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-02-02, 12:00 AM   #7  
There are cords in the sidewalls that can get ripped or become seperated from the inside of the tire. That's probably the cause of the bulges. Not safe.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread