flat tires

Old 04-30-02, 06:38 AM
diemeto
Visiting Guest
flat tires

got a flat the other day and had to drive about 1/2 mile with the tire totally low to get to safety, obviously will check the rim but was wondering if I plug the small hole in the tread whether I can reuse the tire- both sidewalls are wavy when I refill it with air - I suspect I need a new tire - which leads to my next question - can I put one new tire (same make and model) on one wheel while the rest have 13k miles

thanks

Old 04-30-02, 09:16 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
A bulge in the sidewall could mean there is belt/tread separation. I wouldn't use it. Pitch it for a new tire.

You can also change the one tire that went flat and put it on with no problems with the others that have 13k on them.

Old 04-30-02, 11:29 AM
diemeto
Visiting Guest
thanks, that is what I thought. no use risking a blowout on the highway for the 100 bucks the tire will cost

Old 04-30-02, 04:00 PM
rickwhoo
Visiting Guest
a buldge in the sidewall is not a belt or tread separation, it is a break on the sidewall inside the tire that makes the outside buldge.

Old 04-30-02, 06:37 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Don't you have belts in the sidewalls of tires?

Old 05-01-02, 08:12 PM
rickwhoo
Visiting Guest
no, the steel belts are inside on the tread only not on the side.

Old 05-02-02, 12:00 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
There are cords in the sidewalls that can get ripped or become seperated from the inside of the tire. That's probably the cause of the bulges. Not safe.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: