Alternator Problem

Old 05-01-02, 03:22 PM
70chevypu
Visiting Guest
Alternator Problem

I have a 1970 Chevy truck. My engine is a 350. My lights were flickering and the alternator was making a howling noise. I replaced the alternator, but my lights are still flickering and my guage will fluctuate radically. I had the alternator tested and they said it was fine. My battery also tested fine. Do I need to replace the voltage regulator?

Old 05-01-02, 07:29 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Check for loose connections and frayed wired first before going to a new voltage regulator.

Old 05-02-02, 07:15 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Don't go backwards

In my 1969 C/10, on my 350 sits a one wire alternator. No more voltage regulator, no hybrid plug in voltage regulators.

Just one modern Alternator, with a vo;tage regulator built in side. It hooks up just like the orginal & runs one red 12 gauge wire form the Pos hookup, on the back of the Alternator. Right to the Positive lead on your battery.

How could you get much better than that? Now if your local Auto Parts store can't get it. Just go to http://www.summitracing.com and order a one wire Alternator for your truck. Or build your own like I did.

My alternator is from my 1974 C/10 a modern internaly regulated Alternator. I paid $20.00 for this self excited one wire voltage regulator,and replaced the front and rear bearings also the brush holder and brushes. And instead of $60.00 or more for a store bought one. I had a DIY one for $38.00. It would have been a very inexpenseve rebuild but, I had to put the $20.00 voltage Reg in that time.

You can not use this one wire Voltage Regulator, in or on your old style externaly regulated Alternator. You need an alternator from 1973 and up to the time,Chevy started using the serpentine belt. This change will improve all the electrics, on your whole truck. No more pulsing lights & fast / slow wipers.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: