Isuzu Rodeo '95 Overheat

Old 05-01-02, 04:24 PM
jjoo21
Visiting Guest
Isuzu Rodeo '95 Overheat

My '95 Isuzu Rodeo starts to over heat. But only when I'm idling (not moving)... As soon as I start moving it's fine. Any ideas what's causing this?

Old 05-01-02, 07:27 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
When's the last time the cooling system has seen service?

Check the top of the forum for posting guidelines and the links in my signature file below for some ideas.

Old 05-02-02, 04:07 PM
jjoo21
Visiting Guest
Isuzu Rodeo Overhead

1995 Isuzu Rodeo, 4cyl.

I haven't had the cooling system looked at specifically, but at the last servicing I was told that the head gasket would have to be replaced. I opted NOT to have this service done because I have been in a situation with my previous vehicle that had a leaking head gasket and it was ALWAYS overheating, and to fix that all they used was a sealant (not a replacement) and it was fine for many miles and months after that... Perhaps it is the severity of the leak, but I'd like to know if it could also be something else (less major than a cracked head gasket) with the cooling system since it only starts to heat up when idling still.

JJ

Old 05-02-02, 06:12 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Thumbs down

A bad head gasket is the likely cause of the overheating.

If the head gasket problem is true and confirmed, the problem is there. There is no "fix" in a bottle and cooling system sealants do nothing except goo up the system worse.

The cylinder head might be cracked which would be an expensive repair. Best bet is to remove the cylinder head, have a machine shop inspect it, and install a new gasket on the engine.

Fairly extensive job.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: