light wiring

Old 05-01-02, 10:05 PM
snoop
Visiting Guest
light wiring

I have some special lighting inside my car that is powered by the cig lighter outlet. What would be the best way to "hard wire" or splice in the lighting so that when the car is on, the lighting is on, and goes out when the car is off? I assume that somehow I could wire it into the fuse box (wiper terminal) but is there a chance that I could create some electrical problems by doing this?

Thanks for your thoughts

Old 05-01-02, 10:17 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How many amps are these lights drawing? Did you want them on when the engine is running or just when the lights are on??
What kind of car?

Old 05-02-02, 03:49 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I agree with Dan. Start by studying a wiring diagram for the car and you'll know what's live when.

Old 05-02-02, 04:26 PM
snoop
Visiting Guest
I am not sure what kind of power it will be drawing, but I will find out. I want to install an on off switch (because my headlights are automatic) but that would have been a good idea to hook it into the headlight circuit. It is a 2001 Chevrolet Malibu. How or where could I get wiring diagrams?

Old 05-02-02, 06:07 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Autolibrary.org below, Alldata.com or a factory service manual.

Old 05-04-02, 04:34 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I'm not sure about your Boo but a lot of the GM vehicles will have extra female for a straight flat male which are marked for ignition power. Do not confuse this with an ingition fuse. If you connect your lights to one of these, be sure to put an inline fuse.
The best way is to follow Joe's advice and get the proper info on your car. You really do need to know your amp draw. If it is high you may need to run battery power through a relay. If this is needed. Power your lights from the battery and power your switch only from the fuse block.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: