1990 Cavalier

Old 05-02-02, 11:35 AM
DRLM001
Visiting Guest
1990 Cavalier

Hey there,im just witing to explain my problem with my car.The engine seems to work great,untill all of the sudden it starts to sputter.The weather can be variable.Its done it in rain,sun and snow.The cars temp,im not really sure(it has a temp light only).But it doesn't overheat.I've done everything for a tune-up with the acception of the wires.Another thing when its sputtering if i give it alot of gas it seems to smooth out.Ive also did a pressure test on the cooling system and it checked out o.k.So if this helps you at all which i hope it does just let me know....Thank-You

Old 05-02-02, 12:59 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Engine size? Has the EGR valve been cleaned/replaced/checked for carbon? Common cause of trouble and happened to my grandparent's (now my) 89 Cavalier.

Old 05-02-02, 02:51 PM
Group Moderator
Received 247 Upvotes on 199 Posts
Hey Joe, thought you disdained all FWD vehicles and now we find out you own one??? LOL

Old 05-02-02, 02:58 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Yes, I disdain them. RWD is far superior .

Reread the post, TG . I inherited the Cavalier. 22k original, in nice shape and free. My grandfather stopped driving and rather than flip it for a 2000 bucks, I told him I would take it over and keep it running, since I have done so since it was bought new.

Would I go out and buy one? Nope . But, I will keep it going and in good shape as I have done for 13 years

Old 05-02-02, 03:15 PM
Group Moderator
Received 247 Upvotes on 199 Posts
Just pulling your chain, Joe.

Old 05-02-02, 06:14 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Ya, I know it.

I'm going to have to make you change your handle from The_Tow_Guy to The_Wise_Guy .

Old 05-04-02, 08:43 PM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
You might be in for a long haul w/ the Cavalier, Joe.

I too 'inherited' one when my cousin graduated from college & bought a new car. It had 140,000 hard miles on it when I got it. I drove it for 2 years, put 40K miles on it w/ only oil changes, brake pads & 1 balljoint replacement. I gave it away last year & it's still on the road. It has about 190K on it now & the body will probably rot away before the powertrain dies.

Old 05-05-02, 12:55 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Talking

We'll see . I transfer over the car this month. I've kept it up since 1989 when my grandparents got it new (I went with them to buy it) and I have everything from the window sticker to the dealer paperwork for it in an envelope. .

I got my 84 Olds 88 in 1996 for free from my uncle. Was going to go to the junkyard. It had 123,00 hard miles on it, having been through two adults and four teenagers and being used as a Home Depot runner to a "pile in and go out" car to a commuter car, to just sitting there, etc. My original plan was to keep it running while I was in graduate school and then go out and buy something else. I thought about a Cadillac or a Corvette, but couldn't bring myself to spend that kind of green . I did a little TLC to the 84 and it has rewarded me greatly.

Still going today .

I'm a pretty firm believer that if you maintain anything it will run nearly forever. The thing is with guys like Knuckles and myself I guess we tend to know all the pitfalls of even the lackluster models and can address them. Not everyone has this luxury.

RWD is still better .

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: