transfer case and transmission

Old 05-02-02, 09:13 PM
dwithem
Visiting Guest
Question transfer case and transmission

I have a 1979 suburban with full-time four wheel drive (L, L LOC, H, H LOC). Manual says refill transfer case with 10W-30 but I have aftermarket manual hubs. So, is it really full-time or should I use 80W that's recommended for conventional four wheel drive? Also, when I drain the automatic transmission, how many quarts to refill? 10?

Old 05-02-02, 10:01 PM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
You have a NP 203 transfer case. The fact that it has been converted to part time 4WD has no bearing on its lubrication requirements. 10W30 is the factory recommended lube & that's what you should use unless this truck sees extreme conditions such as mud bogging on a regular basis. The mud boggers use SAE 40 & report no problems.

Drain & refill specs vary depending on trans & convertor combination. Drain the trans, change the filter & install the pan.

Add 4 quarts of ATF & start the engine. Check the ATF level. Add in 1 qt. increments until the fluid is just below the hash marks on the dipstick with the engine at a hot idle. Add .5 qt. & recheck. The fluid should now be roughly in the middle of the hash marks, which is perfect. Make a note of the amount of ATF you used for future reference.

Old 05-03-02, 05:48 PM
dwithem
Visiting Guest
thanks - that's what I thought. One more question, is it ok to use Dexron III instead of Dexron II?

Old 05-03-02, 06:36 PM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
One more question, is it ok to use Dexron III instead of Dexron II?
Yes. Dexron III is the replacement for Dexron I , Dexron II & Dexron IIe.

Old 05-03-02, 07:02 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Yes, Dexron III exceeds all service requirements for II, I and IIe. It is a better fluid.

In fact, many fluids say "Dexron III/Mercon". Mercon is a Ford spec. As long as you see the Dexron III on the container, you are good to go.

Old 05-03-02, 11:02 PM
dwithem
Visiting Guest
Thanks to all! There was a little residue in the pan but I understand that's normal wear and tear. I also noticed a couple of shavings. Other than that the tranny seems ok. Any tips on maintenance of the axles and transfer case since that will be my next project? Also, it shimmys sometimes as if the wheels are out of balance but sometimes the ride is smooth at the same speed. Is it the stabilizer or ?

Old 05-05-02, 01:23 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Swap the tires fron to back to see if that helps. Get them balanced.

Check for missing weights on the driveshaft, etc, etc. etc.

Many possibilites for that.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: