bad head gasket

Old 05-03-02, 09:12 AM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
bad head gasket

I've removed the cylinder head from my car, and it is not apparent to me where the leak is coming from. I've never done this before, so should it be obvious? I know the coolant was getting in the crankcase for sure, so there is a leak. thanks.

Israel

Old 05-03-02, 12:14 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
No, only a machine shop can advise if the head is cracked. They use special equipment to do so.

It's not often possible to "see" the leak with the naked eye.

Old 05-03-02, 02:31 PM
E
I'm sorry. I meant I couldn't see any obvious leaks in the head gasket itself. there's a little deteriorationat some points, but no breaks.

Old 05-03-02, 07:14 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
What were the symptoms that made you remove the head in the first place?

Old 05-03-02, 09:26 PM
E
Well at first there was a tremor, which could be felt when stopped at a red light. I thought it was the spark plugs. I have been having some coolant problems: the heater core is partially blocked, and the car was running a little hotter than usual, I also noticed that I kept filling up the coolant and it going below level. Then a little white smoke started coming out, and then the tremors got really bad and a lot of white smoke started coming out. I shut down the car and haven't started it up since. The crankcase oil was fouled with water, so I figured it was either the head gasket or a crack in the block. what do you think?

Israel

Old 05-03-02, 10:28 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
I agree with your diagnosis on the head gasket. That is most likely the problem. A crack in one of the heads could also be the problem. A crack in the block...almost never. If the gasket isn't blown, you may find the fault in one of the heads, but you won't likely see it upon visual inspection.

Old 05-04-02, 10:53 AM
E
Thank you Cheese. Tell me would the cylinder head crack without warping or blowing the head gasket?

Israel

Old 05-04-02, 02:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
The head could crack without blowing the gasket, but once you removed it, it probably warped. I see by your previous questions in other threads that this is a dodge 2.5 engine. You should have no problem finding a good used head for it if it does turn out to be cracked. There's no good way to repair a cracked head...replace it. A machine shop can easily check it for a few bucks. Have the replacement head checked before installing it too if it's used.

Old 05-05-02, 07:59 PM
E
I want to thank you all respondents very much for their assistance. It's been very encouraging to a green horn like me.

Israel

Old 05-06-02, 03:27 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Not a problem....

Make sure you have the head checked. This is a critical step many take to 'save' money only to find that the head is shot and they have to do it all over again .

Good luck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: