dead 91 Audi 100

Old 05-03-02, 06:10 PM
brianna
Visiting Guest
dead 91 Audi 100

The fool that I am I just bought a 91 Audi 100 Automatic,ah the price was right, date of manufacture 08/90,I have a problem starting the car,not even if I try to jump it,the Battery is new,and the starter is fine, I had it bench tested, some one said it has to do with the anti theft device,how do I disable this? And where can I find a picture of the fuse/relay box, I also have a feeling some relay switches are missing? I can not afford to purchase the audi factory manual, and there is NO
Audi repair shop in my neck of the woods.I drove the car for 2 days and now it just sits there. Thanks so much for you advise and help.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-02, 07:09 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Check the links in my signature file for some ideas. Read up on my post "The Basics" and the link to www.autolibrary.org. Tell us what you find.

Yes, the antitheft device could be causing woes. Another Audi "exclusive". Lol .

My .02: If you can't afford or refuse to buy the Audi manual, pitch the Audi. This is a lackluster car & a wicked heap that will soak you for a lot of green over due time and the service manual WILL come in handy.

I was never a big fan of Audi...nothing more than an expensive (albeit more troublesome) VW. No thanks . Unfortunately, the Audi 80 was also the bottom of the barrel in their line up and very troublesome and cheaply screwed together. The 5000 was a "better" car

Also, does the car crank at all? Any noises like it wants to start? What does the owner's manual say (if it's missing, buy a replacement...see my links below).

We need more information to help out.

Old 05-04-02, 12:22 AM
brianna
Visiting Guest
no the car will not "crank,on the insiide dash lights come on, when turning the key i.e. engine battery seatbelt etc come on. Also a compleate tune up has been done on the car last yesterday thinking this would help but it did not.

Old 05-05-02, 12:59 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
If ya know for a fact there is an antitheft system, start here. Make sure you are disabling it correctly (what does the owner's manual have to say????). The power to the starter is likely interrupted by the alarm.

If that's awry, the problem is here. If not, then the problem could be a jammed starter. Try tapping on the starter body with a hammer and then trying to start it. If it starts, bad starter motor. Replace it with a rebuilt.

Old 05-05-02, 03:10 PM
brianna
Visiting Guest
91 Audi 100 not so dead anymore

thank's for all your help and advise, I found out late yesterday that the person who said they bench tested the starter never did, my son craweld under the car and removed the starter only to find out that the connection was very corroded(?) and broken. We repalced the starter this morning and the car is running just fine, but I still have a problem with opening the windows. All the fuses are okay.

Old 05-06-02, 03:42 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
The terminal connection was probably rotted, so yes, that will cause trouble.

As for the windows, it could be a tripped breaker for the system. It often resets when something gets overheated. Do the windows work at the respective door with their own switches?

These low buck European cars always have these types of problems . Unfortunately, the parts prices don't follow suit though....one of many reasons I personally have steered far away from these vehicles.

What do the links below in my signature file have to say about the problem? Again, they give the basics, but an Audi service manual, or at minimum an Alldata.com subscription (25 dollars yearly per vehicle) are bargains on cars with constant problems like these.

Search this Thread