Too Young to remember

Old 05-03-02, 06:12 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Too Young to remember

I inherited a 66 Mustang, 200 6cyl, 3sp man. My question is, should 1st gear be syncronized or not? I've been given conflicting opinions about this. Basically, right now you can downshift from 3rd to 2nd but you have to come to a complete stop to go to first gear or you grind the gears. So is this the way it is suppose to work or do I need to put this on my to do list?

Old 05-03-02, 07:03 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
The service manual usually says things like that in the system description.

Why do you need to downshift to 1 while you're moving? I never have to do that on my 4 speed Trans Am .

Old 05-05-02, 01:33 PM
M
It's not so much needing first gear but with the 3 speed I spend a lot of time on the clutch in Chicago traffic creeping up to lights and turn lanes. It would also be nice to have the extra acceleration you get from 1st for ramps.

I have the original shop manual but that book assumes I already know the answer.

Basically, I want the car to work the way it is suppose to so if 1st isn't suppose to be syncronized I'll live with it. If it is I want to fix it.

Old 05-05-02, 08:38 PM
Billdo49er
Visiting Guest
I don't think there is a syncro in 1st.
Mainly because it is not needed in that gear.

Old 05-06-02, 03:21 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
You might try looking in the Ford parts book, as they will also show that information if relevant. I agree with Bill now thinking about it, but it depends on the tranny.

GM is pretty good with their manuals in that they describe the operation, design, and function of all their systems before giving you one page of diagnostic or repair information! . (They figure you have to understand how it works before you can fix it, and I agree ).

Wow, I NEVER use any of my cars for everyday use, no less my 4 speed T/A . That's what commuter cars are for, to make us appreciate the old iron we have .

Old 05-06-02, 04:53 PM
M
Don't use it every day but this is the best time of year to enjoy the car. No salt on the roads and not so hot that I miss AC. Also, just rebuilt the head and trying to get some miles on it to make sure everything is seating correctly. Admittedly though, I never have been the type to let a car sit around and just look pretty. When I was a kid I never could let a model car sit on the shelf either. Always had to play with it.

Old 05-06-02, 06:01 PM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
mustang

Bought a 66 mustang with same eng and tran right off showroom floor in 66. 1st gear was not sync'd.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: