Removing rust before painting

Old 05-04-02, 05:58 AM
Removing rust before painting

I got lucky- I traded two old (ei, almost useless to me) pistols that my dad willed to me for a set of the truck tool boxes that run the length of my truck (7' long!).

They aren't diamond brite, they are the cheaper white painted ones.

Problem is, they have some surface rust. I took a side grinder w/stiff wire disc and knocked off the old chipping paint (wouldn't remove the paint that's sticking) and I couldn't get to the shiney metal with the disc- rust was too hard, and there is a bit more rust than I have the pateince to grind off with a composite disc. Plus I'm afraid to use a hard disk b/c the scratches will be hard to remove.

What is the easiest way to remove rust? Is there a product (like rust converter) that will do it? I'm not overly concerned about being totally rust proof b/c the boxes are old (like my truck), so I can cut a few corners.

I'm going to use aircraft paint remover to remove what's left of the paint, and then try to remove the remaining rust, and prime and paint the boxes black to match my truck.

Your help is appreciated! I'm no rust-buster and I know some o'ya are.

Matt

Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-02, 08:51 AM
I would have bought you new diamond brite tool boxes for the 2 pistols.Otherwise for your new fortune of tool boxes have them sandblasted.Old firearms are very valuable.Your father was giving you a special gift upon his death.

Old 05-04-02, 09:11 AM
not really

Those were two *bad* shape 22 pistols that were heavily used and were basically "saturday night specials". The smaller one was so bad that it shot 2 bullets at once (the other would come out of the side of the revolver). Dad had told me one time already that he wanted to have the bad one melted down, and didn't ever want me to shoot the other one. They had cheap plastic imitation ivory handles.

Upon his death, he did leave me grandpa Isaiah's old 12 gauge shotgun- it is heavily used but well cared for and still shoots like a son-of-a-gun. Not a major scratch on it, and it sustained my grandpa's family for over a century (including me- shot a lot of rabbit and squirrels w/it. It's over 100 yrs old and you'd pry it out of my cold, dead hands. I wouldn't trade that gun for a new chrome-plated Chevy 3500 HD Dually. Not ever.

I was offered (twice) less than $25 for both of them. Really, no loss. The only thing dad ever shot with the guns was beer cans and a few stray dogs. Nothing glamorous.

Anyhoo, I didn't lose out- I gave him $25 for a chrome bull bar similar (just a few years old) to this one . It was a deal. And if fits perfectly- already sized it up (he has identical truck to mine).

Now I gotta find somewhere to sandblast the boxes cheap.

Any other ideas????

Old 05-04-02, 09:38 AM
Dan Meyer
Visiting Guest
Rust Removal

Here's what I do to remove rust:
Buy some "naval Jelly". Most hardware stores have it. It's an acid and works wonders. Follow directions. Be sure to wash it off very well (soap and water). Be sure It's DRY then prime with a good primer and paint with something like Rust-O-leum.

Old 05-04-02, 09:46 AM
Dan Meyer
Visiting Guest
Rust removal

P.S.
There's another product I have used call "EXTEND" which can be purchased at auto parts stores (Murray's) that I have used. It also works pretty well. I keep both around. they're chemicals and don't remove metal like sanding and grinding does.

Old 05-04-02, 09:53 AM
rust-0-leum?

rustomleum makes auto paint?

Old 05-04-02, 10:01 AM
if you have acsess to aircraft paint remover should ask your buddy or whatever about a product called osglow(spelling?).ou paint it on the rust and it somehow stops the rust wash it off and sand a little poof its gone never to return.i get some from a marine base and use it on cars trucks bikes etc works great.they sell a similar product at lowes but must not be as concentrated cause it just dont work as good as the government stuff

Old 05-04-02, 10:04 AM
Dan Meyer
Visiting Guest
What difference does it make whether it's called "auto" paint or not as long as it's the color you want??? Also, rust-o-leum comes in (cheap) spray cans. I use it all the time on my cars (unless I am painting parts of the body and need an exact match)

Old 05-04-02, 07:03 PM
Rust Converter

If I was not going to use extend Rust Converter as my primer. Then I would use Rustolem Rusty metal primer with Fish oils. I haven't had any break throughs with Extend and darn few wit the Rusty metal Primer.

Why Kill yourself when you can get the rust to work for you. The extend turns red cancerious rust into a Gun blue/ black preservitive. Sand it and it's a great primer so just paint right over Extend for a more long term fix.

Old 05-05-02, 01:03 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Use a product called POR15. It is excellent. It will seal in the rust and convert it to a hard surface. You can then prime and paint as normal.

I have used it on many things, it works great. Just top coat it, UV rays make it change color (but won't break it down).

Restomotive Labs makes it out in NJ.

Old 05-06-02, 05:03 AM
AHA!

I took some plain old paint stripper (the gel kind) and painted it thick on the top of them just to try. I had to let it set and stew for about an hour (rebrushing occasionally) and the paint more or less peeled right off.

The rust isn't as bad. Once I get the boxes down to bare metal I can use my side grinder to grind off the rust pretty easily---- the rust isn't as widespread as I had feared.

For RUSTOLEUM__ To primer or not, that is the question. If so, would regular spray paint primer $1 a can work????

Old 05-06-02, 05:51 AM
redneck
Visiting Guest
My 2 cents, sand blast them then take to Macco or other discount paint shop and have them shoot the primer and then the color of your truck. You will not have alot of $ in this and it will look professional!