bad clutch or tranny????

Old 05-05-02, 06:48 AM
blackjack1818
Visiting Guest
bad clutch or tranny????

I have a 93 honda accord LX. When idle or driving it make a pinging noise, but when idle and you press on the clutch it goes away. The clutch is 4 months old. Someone says it is the tranny another says it is the bearrings in the clutch. When I was driving it would slip out of 5th gear so I would drive in 4th. Then 4th wouldnt work at all. When I was driving it sounded as if something feel. I now had no gears. But it moves if you give it alot of gas and drive slowly but after a while it starts to jump. Please tell me some good news!!!!!!!

Old 05-05-02, 07:29 AM
TECHMAN
Visiting Guest
Sound like the trans is bad and need to be pulled. With the trans out you can check the clucth out at same time. The way to test for noise is to put trans in gear and push the clucth pedal in, at this time nothing in the trans is turning and all is still. if it makes noise at this time you know it is not the trans. if you put it in neut. and release the clucth pedal and it makes noise it is in trans. If you replace the clucth assy ALWAYS replace pilot bushing are bearing and throw out bearing at same time. Good luck-----Dave.

Old 05-05-02, 07:45 AM
blackjack1818
Visiting Guest
But if it was the tranny, shoulnt the car not move period. It is driveable for a short distance. but after a while it will start jumping. Some guy said that it is the throw out bearring. Is there a way to tell if it is the tranny for sure?

Old 05-05-02, 07:55 AM
TECHMAN
Visiting Guest
Sound like you have two prob. burned up clucth and poss. bad 4th and 5th gear sinks in trans. to test throw out bearing. put trans in any gear and let pedal in and out. If noise changes poss throw out bearing.---Good Luck-Dave

Old 05-05-02, 08:21 AM
blackjack1818
Visiting Guest
But one more thing, when I did have a bad clutch I would drive and the rpms would go real high(slippage) So now that problem isnt happening. I know a little about cars and I really dont think it is the clutch. I may be wrong. Is it worth fixing the throw out bearring with the possible bad 4th and 5th gear sinks.

Old 05-05-02, 12:37 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Sounds like an internal problem with the trans, I agree with Techman.

The pinging is likely another engine related problem. Could be a carbonized EGR, etc.

How many miles on the car?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: