body shop

Old 05-05-02, 04:02 PM
martymatty
Visiting Guest
body shop

have to use bondo on dent, pull and knock out what i could. the ? is will it stay there? i know i have to go down to bare metal. is there something else i need to kwon.

Old 05-06-02, 03:35 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Please punctuate and use proper grammar on your posts.....very hard to read. Not sure I understand your post...

Are you trying to remove a dent?
Fix rust?
Do a quality repair? Saturday night special?

The fix for a dent all depends on the depth of the damage and the quality of the job you want.

Body work/paint work is no longer a DIY job as mentioned by Knuckles a few days ago to another poster. Enivornmental and material laws have changed dramatically making it hard to do as a DIY project, not to mention quite expensive. A quart of paint has probably doubled in price over the last 10 years and frankly the best paint job on a crappy body will still look like a 200 dollar paint job. It's all in the prep.

What you might choose to do (if I have your post right) is to work WITH a body shop on what you CAN do yourself which will save you money and net you a quality job. Believe it or not, I have seen $200 Maaco paint jobs that aren't THAT bad for a work van, every day car or beater to make it look decent. Factor in if you do the removal and install of the trim yourself and other help, you might not have a bad job. This is an option you might consider.

Putting a lot of money into a work van is bad news. It will just get beat up and waste your funds which could be better spent elsewhere .

My .02

Old 05-06-02, 06:57 PM
martymatty
Visiting Guest
body shop

to Joe F have friend that does body work. has restored one or two. just tring to help him . the work truck is in good shape. will put rebuild motor in it in a week or so. body work is not necassary but would make me feel better. ie i am going to drive this truck for a while it might as well not have a big ding in it. thats all i want , to look halfway good. thank you

Old 05-06-02, 07:06 PM
martymatty
Visiting Guest
body shop

to Joe F have friend that does body work. has restored one or two. just tring to help him . the work truck is in good shape. will put rebuild motor in it in a week or so. body work is not necassary but would make me feel better. ie i am going to drive this truck for a while it might as well not have a big ding in it. thats all i want , to look halfway good. thank you

Old 05-07-02, 09:31 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Might want to pick up a few books at the library or take a vocational course at a local school to learn more about it. That's the best way. Bodywork is a very hands on thing.

Old 05-07-02, 06:27 PM
martymatty
Visiting Guest
body shop

to Joe F. I am 45 finish high school. before computer engines. when any body could work on them. did fine. Don't get me wrong. you had better education then me. thats way i ask eor advise from you. I am working on two trucks. A 92 blazer i just got for my wife. it had the dull finish on it. could not find the number wax that was stated in post. but put a good rub shine on it. i believe two or three times might do it. now on the van got dent in back. someone grew tree in wrong place. thats all i am tring to fix. rust will eat it . faster than me on a t bone steak. thank you.

Old 05-08-02, 03:44 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Again, smarts in a book or a degree on the wall, won't teach ya body work . It sure didn't teach me about cars. I learned from others, by reading, by doing, and a combination of all three. I also started when I was five .

It will only provide the tools and knowledge you need to learn how to do it yourself. It's a very hands on thing. It takes practice, work, planning, money and equipment to do it right.

If you've got a friend in the business, team up with him, learn from him, borrow his equipment and run with that. Since you state you have this friend in the industry, he is your best teacher.

I have friends in various industries/parts of the auto industry who I tap on for their experience, connections and knowledge. I in turn return the favor many times over.

Read up and get all you can on the subject, practice and learn. Best way!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: