Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Engine Skips

Visiting Guest

05-06-02, 05:44 PM   #1  
deerhuntersal
Engine Skips

1994 FORD-E150 CONVERSION VAN
ENGINE-5.8L
AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION

WHEN THE PROBLEM FIRST STARTED IT FELT ALMOST LIKE THERE WAS WATER IN THE GAS. BECAUSE EVERY SO OFTEN IT WOULD SKIP A BEAT, AND A COUPLE OF TIMES IT STALLED. I PUT DRY GAS IN THE TANK. NO HELP!
I HAD A TUNE UP DONE INCLUDING WIRES, PLUGS, FUEL FILTER ETC. NO HELP!
YESTERDAY I NOTICED WHEN I TURN ON THE THE IGNITION, IT WOULD DISCHARGE UNTIL I STARTED IT, THEN IT CHARGES SLIGHTLY ALL THE TIME. WHEN IT SKIPS I NOTICED THE AMP NEEDLE DROPS TO DISCHARGE FOR AN INSTANT.
I INSTALLED A NEW BATTERY. NO HELP!
I WOULD APPRECIATE ANY HELP THAT YOU COULD GIVE ME ON THIS PROBLEM.
THE GARAGE I GO TO SAID THAT HE THINKS THAT IT MAY BE INTERNAL IN THE DISTRIBUTOR.
IT DOES NOT FOLLOW ANY PATTERN OR ANY SPEED.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

05-07-02, 09:35 AM   #2  
Joe_F
Kill the caps, it's annoying to read a post in all caps like that.

Sounds like an alternator/charging problem. Wicked things happen when the alternator discharges like that.

Have it checked first before going any further.

Visiting Guest

05-17-02, 04:40 AM   #3  
deerhuntersal
engine skips

After the alternator was checked. The amp needle doesn't drop anymore when it hesitates, and the ABS light went out. The mechanic said there was nothing wrong with the alternator. He installed a new distributor, and that didn't help. So he reinstalled my old distributor. Still have the skip or [hesitation], just seems to cut off for an instant. He also said he can't clean the injectors because it is a throttle-body and to use Chevron gas and put Techron injector cleaner in and try that for 3 or 4 tankfuls of gas. What do you think? My mechanic gave up!!!! I need any help that you can give me. Thanks

Visiting Guest

05-17-02, 05:32 AM   #4  
Joe_F
Find a new mechanic. This one's a parts changer.

Check the regulated fuel pressure with a gauge. Check my post "The Basics" below.

That being said, Ford has had a lot of problems with their distributor mounted ignition module. If yours is original, change it. Ford is sending out letters to customers and will likely reimburse you for the cost of the replacement module. The parts have been updated many times since the originals.

Visiting Guest

05-25-02, 02:39 AM   #5  
deerhuntersal
engine skips

well,i got rid of the parts changer. i went to the dealer where i bought the van, it was diagnosed . they replaced the r&l upper intake manifold gaskets,cleaned egr valve,cleaned fuel injectors and desluged tb,replaced starter motor, and said that i had a dead cell in the battery which was only about 2 weeks old. i picked up the van and drove it across the lot and took it back,still had the same problem. they said that it has to be the stator module. nope not that either. so they tested the ignition system and found that it was the pcm. i asked for good will consideration and the answer was no. i checked the battery when i got it home and sure enough it had a dead cell. the van runs great now after 1500.00 hope this info. will help someone . this one was a tough one. thank you very much for trying to help me and you have a great site. thanks again

Visiting Guest

05-25-02, 05:45 AM   #6  
Joe_F
Make sure there are no known technical bulletins on these problems at www.alldata.com

If there are, go back to the Ford dealer, get the full printout of them and fight for some money back, and tell them that they have a known problem with this.

As you said, goodwill. However, you need the proof to tell them, "I know this is a problem with this model...your TSB's admit the same"

Search this Thread