Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

fuel filter change on '96 cherokee

Visiting Guest

05-07-02, 07:25 AM   #1  
bledsoe
fuel filter change on '96 cherokee

My fuel filter rotted away a little bit and is leaking fuel. I going to change it this afternoon. Do I need to depressurize the fuel system before swapping it out? My buddy told me that once I unclamp the filter, I can relieve the pressure that way. I just don't want gas spraying out at me. Also, any other advise on this matter? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

05-07-02, 08:28 AM   #2  
Huxley
fuel filter

I had a puddy tell me that when you un do it to wrap a rag around it so the gas does not shot out at you. I think the lines are at 35 psi.

Visiting Guest

05-07-02, 08:52 AM   #3  
Antony W. Serio
To depresurize the fuel system on a GM (I don't know jeeps), pull the fuse for the fuel pump and crank the engine. If the truck starts, wait until it runs dry. Just remember to put the fuse back when you are done.

Visiting Guest

05-07-02, 09:30 AM   #4  
Joe_F
I agree with these guys. See the links/cautions/posts below in my signature file.

05-07-02, 06:32 PM   #5  
If the fuel system leaks it will depressurize on its own,let it sit an hour without turning the key on.

Visiting Guest

05-09-02, 08:07 AM   #6  
bledsoe
Easy, 20 minute project! thanks guys. I just wrapped a towel around it, and kept a pan underneath to drank the fuel into. It was easy. I still soaked my arm in fuel, but that's alright. easly project!

Search this Thread