egr problems

Old 05-07-02, 06:53 PM
hiram lela
Visiting Guest
egr problems

Have 1986 pontiac fiero w/ 4 cyl. Recently, engine idles but when engine speed is increased, engine starts to choke out and power is down to almost nothing. Trans will not shift. Car is essentially undriveable. But, if I unhook the egr, engine smooths out and I can drive as normal except I get spark knock on acceleration and going uphill. If I unhook egr from throttle body hose and hand actuate the egr with a vacumn pump, the engine starts to chug again with no power. EGR valve is new (second one with same result), intake manifold gasket is new, intake has been cleaned and is not cracked or damaged. The only code I ever got was that the O2 sensor was running the engine rich. O2 sensor is new. This model does not have an egr solenoid, just the hose from the throttle body to the egr. Hose vacs fine.

Old 05-07-02, 11:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
It sounds like the egr might be connected to the wrong vacuum line. I think it's getting too much vacuum too soon. Another possibility is a vacuum leak from another spot. Did this problem start when the manifold gasket was changed? Do you hear hissing near the engine at idle?

Old 05-08-02, 03:34 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Most aftermarket EGR valves require the use of the proper orifice washer to work. They include instructions in the kit.

Else, buy the correct OE valve which requires no orifice.

That being said, be careful about spending a lot on an old heap like this. The Fiero was Pontiac's version of the Vega, it was quite horrific .

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: