Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

no power

Visiting Guest

05-08-02, 07:47 AM   #1  
diamondgirl
no power

Please help me.

I have a 1996 Ford Thunderbird. It is has automatic trans. and it is a 6 cylinder, fuel injected.
Last year the crank shaft broke (I don't know how that just happens, but it did) and we replaced it with a rebuilt engine from Dr. Motorworks in Kansas City. That has been the beginning of the end. My check engine light has been on since that time. The only codes the code reader has are 171,172,174,175, which apparently mean the O2 sensors are bad. Well we have changed those and we have put in a new throttle control sensor and a new fuel filter. But the light keeps coming back with the same numbers. The fuel is to rich and then not rich enough. When I try to drive first thing in the morning, I will press on the gas peddle and nothing happens. I can hold it all the way to floor for about 10 seconds and finally it will start to putter and then it will get a little more gas then I will eventually be able to drive. It will do this until the car gets warmed up. After that I am good for pretty much the whole day, unless it rains and it is cold. What could it be? Unfortunately we live in a pretty small town so the mechanics here are drawing a blank. Has anyone every dealt with such a thing before? I would appreciate any help at all. Thank you very much.
Diamond

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

05-08-02, 10:21 AM   #2  
Joe_F
Ah, Blue Oval does it again .

Has the mass air flow sensor been checked if so equipped? It will give symptoms like that.

While the car is running, give it a whack with a screwdriver handle and if it comes back to life or stutters, the sensor is bad.

05-08-02, 02:09 PM   #3  
I agree with Joe,but would like to add something.I would suggest getting a wiring diagram and make sure all the ground wires are attached,if it started right after replacing the engine.

Visiting Guest

05-09-02, 06:10 AM   #4  
diamondgirl
Thanks, I will try that. We had way to many tornadoes last night so I'll have to wait until tonight to try. I do have a wire diagram. So we'll look at that also. Thanks for the quick response. You guys are pretty cool.

Diamond

Visiting Guest

05-24-02, 08:48 AM   #5  
diamondgirl
I HAVE POWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You guys were right on the button. My husband took the old maf sensor off and the two little wires were covered with black dirt. He cleaned it off with a q-tip and we put it back on until the one we ordered came in. Immediately the car ran 110% better. When we put the brand new one in it was even better. I drove that night to my class 45 minutes away and the engine light did not come back on. FINALLY. My gas mileage has improved tremendously. I cannot thank you enough for your help.

Diamond

Visiting Guest

05-24-02, 09:47 AM   #6  
Joe_F
Good job

Another Ford fixed...err, yes fixed . Lol.

Search this Thread