dual oil filters?? better?? worse???

Old 05-08-02, 11:23 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
dual oil filters?? better?? worse???

this may be a dumb question... i was looking for an oil filter relocation kit for my 2000 Nissan Crew Cab 4x4. i just happen to notice that a kit that contains dual filters is avaliable. obviously this is better for the engine and oil, twice as much filtration. i plan on keeping this truck until it falls apart. is the kit worth it? are there any drawbacks? where could i mount the filters? somewhere in the engine bay i would guess. the site mentioned putting the filters in the wheel well. seems like a bad idea to me.

any ideas appreciated.

thanks.
mitch.

Old 05-08-02, 01:00 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Stick with the OE filter or a good quality aftermarket filter.

Change it along with the oil frequently. Doing so will perpetuate the vehicle if it is properly designed and it will last a long time.

I don't buy those hokey ideas myself. Nothing substitutes for good maintenance.

Old 05-08-02, 01:33 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
've been using synthetic since the second oil change. now have 34,000 miles. i've been doing the chagnes every 6000 miles. i've heard everything from changing at 12000 to every 3000 with synthetic, so went in between. i know this questions is a popular one, but what is recommended for synthetics?

Old 05-08-02, 02:07 PM
xiii13
Visiting Guest
Don't extend the oil change interval because you are using synthetic oil. It still must be changed every 3,000 miles or 3 months or what your owners manual recommends.

This is part of an article I keep around:

"Synthetic oil has a little bit longer life expectancy than regular oil. Consumers think that they can “stretch “ the oil change interval with synthetic, but you should always follow the manufacturer's suggested oil intervals. The more uniform & longer chains of synthetic oil lubricate better than regular oil, which has both short & long chains. Synthetic oils give you an advantage at engine start up because they are less affected by heat variations. But just like regular oil, synthetic can wear out. The long oil chains get clipped by the moving engine parts and eventually get hacked into less desirable shorter chains. Eventually the synthetic oil wears to a point that it becomes regular oil."

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: