Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

smoke?


Sharp Advice's Avatar
Admin, Forums Host & Manager

Join Date: Feb 1998
Posts: 10,440
CAL

11-25-01, 05:11 AM   #1  
FYI: Carbon Monoxide Awareness

FYI: Topic
Basic Information and Safety Precautions.
Subject:
Carbon Monoxides Awareness.
Your health and safety could be at risk.

POST NO REPLIES!
Posting Date:
November 25, 2001

Every inhabited building structure, which has a gas appliance <natural or propane> providing hot water and or heating, has the possibility of producing carbon monoxides and allowing the poisonous fumes to enter the interior environments.

The intent of this topic is not intended to go into any detailed explanation of all the causes of carbon monoxides. Nor is it intended to expound on the properties of carbon monoxides, cover the symptoms, make specific recommendations or suggestions regarding what to do if carbon monoxides are suspected to be present.

Awareness of carbon monoxide is the main intent.

Our own actions or lack there of, can cause an appliance to operate in an unsafe and or improper condition. Such conditions could effect the appliances proper operation and cause that appliance to produce carbon monoxides.

Remodeling, adding an appliance or relocating an existing gas appliance, incorrect or faulty repairs, enclosing an appliance in any structure, other then replacing an existing stove, can cause or become one of several reasons a gas appliance begins producing carbon monoxides.

It's always recommendable to check with the building and safety department and follow all local codes whenever installing or relocating furnaces, boilers and water heater gas appliances.

Carbon monoixide build ups and poisonings can happen quickly or over longer time durations, depending on the appliance, it's location and how badly the effects are on the appliance. Lower levels of carbon monoxides, are also dangerous.

Spillage is often a method in which carbon monoxide enters a structure. Spillage can be a reversed air flow downwards through the venting systems piping or chimney vent. Venting system restrictions or improperly installed venting systems and or interconnections into an existing flue, can cause spillage of the venting fumes.

Conditions like these allow some or all of the fumes to escape out of the venting system, appliance or the downdraft diverter and spill into the environment where the gas appliance is located.

All gas appliance produce small amounts of carbon monoixides when the unit is operating normally and correctly. Should the appliances burner flames become effected for any reason, the flames will not burn correctly.

Any gas appliance operating in adverse conditions, poor operating condition, lack of proper maintenance, appliances that have been in operation beyond there normal service life expectancies, can be producing extremely high levels of CO.

Furnaces, boilers and water heater appliances use larger volumes of gas during operation as compared to stoves and dryers. Therefore, are more prone to produce higher levels of carbon monoxides.

Appliances that are remotely and or automatically operated are the most common appliances to cause carbon monxides. Because these appliances are out of daily sight, early problem symptoms often go undetected and or undiscovered for long periods of time.

Best safety precautions to guard against becoming a victim or casualty of carbon monoxide poisoning, is to have furnaces, boilers and water heater appliances professionally checked and serviced yearly.

Regards,
Gas Appliances Forums Moderator
Tom_Bart....

 
Sponsored Links
bryan77's Avatar
Visiting Guest

Posts: n/a

05-08-02, 02:01 PM   #2  
bryan77
smoke?

74 chevy 350 crate engine, when I start it up there is some brief smoke, for a second or two then it goes away, I was told that it was probably the valve seals! any truth or thoughts on what it is from?

 
bryan77's Avatar
Visiting Guest

Posts: n/a

05-08-02, 02:03 PM   #3  
bryan77
wow not sure how it got posted under toms post but I apologize!

 
Search this Thread