Timing Belt

Old 05-09-02, 09:56 AM
peanut44
Visiting Guest
Timing Belt

Please answer a question for me.What are the symptoms of a bad (wore out) timing belt,or are there no symptoms untill it breaks?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-02, 10:37 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Generally, the belt breaks and that's that.

What kind of car, what's the actual problem?

Old 05-10-02, 09:56 AM
peanut44
Visiting Guest
Timing belt

Hi Joe
I have a 1989 Dogde Aries,automatic,motor 2.2.I have been having a fuel problem and the starter going out.It started blowing black smoke out of the tailpipe.My mechanic said that the timing belt had missing teeth and was out of time.He replaced it.Now he says that the throttle position senser is out of range.Is this easily repaired?Can you give me a ball park figure as to how much I should be charged for this repair? My mechanic is killing me!My mechanic always seems to come up with 2 or 3 other things that need repair(every time) he has my car,for over 3 years,instead of doing the repairs that I asked him to do.I think I should find another mechanic.I live in Mobile,AL.,if you know of a good honest one.I'm a woman...please help with advise!

Old 05-10-02, 12:36 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Black smoke like that is usually indicative of a MAP sensor problem or a broken vacuum line to it. Could also have a vacuum leak. When's the last time the car has seen a thorough servicing including all filters and fluids? Start there.

I suggest a new mechanic as this one is shotgunning by changing parts based on what you tell me.

See the links below in my signature file for an idea of how to do a code check and other service information. Read up on it so you'll have an idea what he's talking about when you bring it in.

A bad TPS usually gives hesitation problems more so than black smoke.

Old 05-10-02, 01:16 PM
peanut44
Visiting Guest
Timing belt and??????

Joe,thank you so much for the advise and for this site to help people out.Your the best! Peanut44

Old 05-10-02, 01:29 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
No problem and let us know the outcome.

Old 05-13-02, 04:52 PM
rickwhoo
Visiting Guest
i have seen oxygen sensors cause black smoke in those cars.

Old 05-14-02, 10:05 AM
peanut44
Visiting Guest
smoke again

Well as I told you, my mechanic replaced the timing belt.No black smoke,no hesitation,it didn't even idle high like it had been doing.I was so pleased!Well it lasted 3 days and started smoking again and not shifting right.I just don't get it.Yes I do....I bought a lemon,plain and simple.I have had this car for less than 10 months, and so far I have spent $1,000 on repairs.

Old 05-15-02, 05:48 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Bring it back. Perhaps a vacuum line or something got knocked off during the repair.

Ask them to have a look at their work and advise what the problem is now. Take a look yourself for bad vacuum lines.

The diagram is under the hood and says "Emission Control Information". Check the lines visually. There should be no cracks or splits in the lines and none should be capped or misrouted.

Correct any that you find and rule that out.

Other troubles could be a bad pressure regulator, MAP sensor or out of spec sensor.

A 1989 Aries was not a "nice Reliant automobile" (to coin the phrase from the "If I had a million dollars" NYS lottery song...lol) in 1989, no less in 2002 .

You can also look at the links in my signature file for how to check for trouble codes that the computer stores. Is the check engine light on?

A bad TPS will usually cause hesitation more so than black smoke.

Old 05-15-02, 06:49 AM
peanut44
Visiting Guest
Thanks once again Joe.I will check the lines first and go from there.

Old 05-15-02, 02:49 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Ok, let us know the resolution.