excessive oil loss

Old 05-12-02, 07:54 AM
greoge
Visiting Guest
excessive oil loss

I have a 99 cadillac deville my problem it is losing excessive oil it was doing this at time of purchase, the dealer said he changed the oil before i picked it up so i assumed that maybe it was oil pan plug. after 3000 miles I had the oil changed but the problem continued. at the most recent oil change the technician told me the oil was 58% depleted that would mean 3 1/2 to 4 qts low.
I put a piece of cardboard underneath the engine but i only see 3 or 4 half-dollar size spots overnite. also there is no oil on engine and car does'nt smoke. can anyone help me as to what the problem may be.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-02, 08:45 AM
caddy

Iwould guess that the oil manifold is leaking or you have stuck rings.Northstar engines have been using oil from stuck rings a Caddy dealer has new equipment to fix that.If its leaking from the oil manifold I would suggest leaving it alone unless you want Caddy dealer to fix it.They are a nightmare at best.You would need special tools to hold the engine in the car while you remove the cradle.That is the easy part.Get the car on a rack and check it yourself if you see where its leaking let us know.We might be able to help.

Old 05-12-02, 12:16 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Call Cadillac and see if they will offer partial assistance as a goodwill warranty on this problem. Go to www.alldata.com and see if there are known bulletins on this problem.

If there are, print out the titles and have the dealer give you the full text of the bulletin. Use that as your defense when calling Cadillac....tell them you know there are problems with the engine and you believe they shoud eat part of the repair as a result.