Clarify my universal joint problem?

Old 05-10-02, 02:41 PM
philgrif
Visiting Guest
Clarify my universal joint problem?

When had tires put on my '98 Ranger the mechanic said I had a bad universal joint.The only problem I have with this recently purchased truck is squeak noticed when backing out of the garage and a sticking of the accelarator pedal when it is first used.I don't know if either of these symptoms are related to the universal joint though.I know that I can change the universal if no special tools are needed.I only question the mechanics diagnosis.

Old 05-10-02, 03:14 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Mileage? Is there play in the shaft when you wiggle it?

Old 05-10-02, 04:12 PM
JackMaster
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb U-joint

Is this a 2 wheel or 4 wheel drive?

Sticking accelerator......hmmmmm could be many things.

U-joint....through my years of turning wrenches and diagnosing noises and problems, I can almost assure you the squeek you hear when backing up is in fact a u-joint (or more than one) gone bad. As Joe suggested, check the driveline for any amount of play at the u-joint. If there is any, replace the u-joint.

Old 05-13-02, 04:47 PM
rickwhoo
Visiting Guest
the sticking accelerator problem is probably a dirty throttle plate. just use throttle cleaner at the throttle plate. as far as the u-joints you dont have to have loosness to be bad.just worn out or rust in needle bearings could cause squeaks. if mechanic says its bad just let him replace it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: