Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

'97 Plymouth Voyager opinions...

Visiting Guest

05-13-02, 12:51 PM   #1  
bledsoe
'97 Plymouth Voyager opinions...

I may pick up a '97 Voyager with 99K miles. It runs great, but I don't know much about Plymouth. Any opinions on these vehicles? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

05-13-02, 01:02 PM   #2  
Joe_F
Engine size?

Good on features for the money, but poor on quality. Badly screwed together, erratic quality and lackluster performance overall.

Visiting Guest

05-13-02, 01:04 PM   #3  
bledsoe
Thanks. It's the 3.0 V6

Visiting Guest

05-13-02, 01:37 PM   #4  
Joe_F
Notorious oil burner and troublesome engine. Stay far away.

Free is not cheap enough

My .02

Visiting Guest

05-13-02, 01:42 PM   #5  
bledsoe
Oh man, really? I was practically on my way to the bank. Is there a website somewhere that I can read about the problems with this van? maybe a site that gives reviews? I'm just curious as to where you're coming from.... My wife really likes this van. Thanks Joe

Visiting Guest

05-13-02, 02:03 PM   #6  
otter_
stay away

where do I start....bad transmissions, engine nothing to write home about, a/c prone to failure and that covers the expensive stuff. Chryco product quality is hit and miss. Until this year they had the lowest cost of assembly per unit of the big three and it shows in their quality, er, lack of quality.

Visiting Guest

05-13-02, 02:05 PM   #7  
Joe_F
Cheese or just about anyone in this forum will probably agree with me .

I'm always behind one of those things puffing away. Sure enough it says "3.0 liter" on the fender. .

Alldata.com for one show a bulletin "ticking at idle". If you do a search on www.google.come for 3.0 oil burning, you might find some support there.

Visiting Guest

05-13-02, 02:08 PM   #8  
otter_
re 3.0

don't know what year they stopped using it, but the Mitsubishi V6 was the worst, notorious for dropping valve guides. Quite useful if you're James Bond, trying to evade your pursuers.

Visiting Guest

05-13-02, 02:15 PM   #9  
Joe_F
Around 1999 I believe. It is the vin code 3 motor, Mitsubishi made.

I would stay away. Also parts for the motor tend to be expensive as they are Japanese sourced.

They are loud, they clatter, run rough and overall lots of trouble, not worth it.

I wouldn't buy a Chrysler minivan. Too poorly screwed together and none of the engine choices are anything to write home about. They are decent on features and are reasonably priced but I don't like Chrysler's quality.

My friend's mother just went for 1200 bucks for a head gasket on her 1997 Stratus with 40k on it (2.4 liter) which is a very common problem. I will probably help her write a letter to get recourse from Chrysler on it.

Things like that make me steer far away from Chrysler, no less a 3.0

Visiting Guest

05-13-02, 02:19 PM   #10  
bledsoe
Well this is why I asked.... Thanks, although the wife's gonna be pissed!

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-14-02, 12:04 AM   #11  
Hi bledsoe!

I used to be a dodge tech, and will agree with the previous posts about the 3.0 engine. They start smoking around the 80 to 100K range, and are expensive to fix. 90% of the time you sit in traffic and see a big cloud of smoke, it is a chrysler product with a 3.0 v6. The trannys on some of these were not good, (ones equipped with overdrive). The dodge vans with the 3.3 or 3.8 are much better. Im my opinion, there is no high quality mini-van. I do like some of dodges' products, and dislike others....like otter said, it's hit-and-miss. I think the van is OK, but the 3.0 is not.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

05-29-02, 08:10 AM   #12  
bledsoe
Hi, sorry to bring this up again, but are you guys referring to all 3.0 engines or just the one from the '96 model. A guy at a transmission shop told me he thought the '97 model had improved as far the transmission goes.... Thanks.

Visiting Guest

05-29-02, 10:42 AM   #13  
Joe_F
2.4, 3.0, 3.3, 3.8s....all nothing to write home about.

Lackluster quality. poorly screwed together and overall better is out there for the same green. In my opinion the Chryslers are cheap looking and ugly too (but that's an opinion )

1996 and on are the same body style, so you're likely to have the same problems .

My personal opinion: I'd stay away. The only thing going for them is the price and the features they provide for that price. Not much else.

Search this Thread