shakin shadow

Old 05-15-02, 07:24 AM
roadrunner_rt
Visiting Guest
Unhappy shakin shadow

Im driving a 1992 Dodge Shadow with a 2.5L 4, non turbo with an auto. The car itself has 231,000 miles on. A year and a half ago at 199,000 miles the timing belt broke and decided to just go through the whole engine. It got everything from new pistons to a new cylinder head (reman to be exact). Now it has a problem. It is missfiring bad at an idle hot or cold. But it clears away just bringing the engine speed past 1500 rpm's. And it misses so bad the whole engine rocks and shakes the whole car. Ive checked everything from vacuum leaks I could have cause since the engine was out to all the car's electrical functions. All checked fine. Ive recently gave it a tune up and the plugs came out clean and identical, new plug wires as well. It didnt change the car's problem. It has plenty of go power but its just anoying when at at stop light as anyone can watch the bumpers shake. Im guessing blown head gasket or cracked the head. Would anyone have an Idea what might be the cause?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-02, 09:20 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Who did the rebuild? What parts were reused? Have you checked the pickup in the distributor? Do it in park as well as drive?

Have you changed any of the motor mounts? Does it run fine under load?

Have you checked for a bad idle air control valve? Did it always do this after the rebuild or recently?

Was the head checked for cracks at the time the repair was done?

Old 05-15-02, 01:28 PM
roadrunner_rt
Visiting Guest
shakin shadow

I performed the overhaul myself. It does the shake in park and in drive, I have checked the motor mounts and they are o.k. The cylinder head was a remanufactured unit. It checked ok with my visual inspection. It didn't have this problem before the overhaul and it does run even while driving. Has no aparent miss while under load. And does not shake. This shake is much worse than a normal 4 cylinder vibration. I have not checked the air idle control valve, where is it located since I dont have a repair manual at hand. The engine has 32,000 on the over haul, it started doing this after the 20,000 mile mark. Most of the parts have been replaced, crank and cylinders and rods did not need any machining. all ignition parts have been replaced during the overhaul inc. ignition coil.

Old 05-15-02, 02:42 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
You cannot tell a head is "good" by visual inspection. It must be done by a machine shop with special equipment...but ok....let's go on the premise it's ok.

Is the shaking a miss type shake or a vibration type shake?

Could have a bad harmonic balancer, wiped out crank (now out of spec), etc.

Take off the drive belts. Does it have an effect now? If it does, you have something wrong with one of the accessories. You want to rule that out first.

Get a repair manual or check the links in my signature file for ideas. Don't do it blind...the IAC valve should be in the throttle body. The emission diagram under the hood should give you the location as well.