Power window on 1986 Grand Am

Old 05-15-02, 01:19 PM
Power window on 1986 Grand Am

The p/w on the drivers door stopped working on this vehicle.

I checked for power coming from the switch to the plug with a meter and was getting power to it so i figured the motor.

I picked up a reman. motor for it and it still doesn't work , the switch was replaced last year and all was working fine , so i figured with a new switch and power going to the plug end for the motor it was the motor.

Now i'm really stumped!!

Anything else that i should be looking at???

Please with the weather getting hot i'd like to get this window working.

Thanks
Gord

Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-02, 02:35 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
If you bring power to the original motor, what happens?

Could have gotten a defective motor from the parts store. Have them power it up to see if it works. If not, get another one from them. Might have been a poorly remaned unit.

Old 05-15-02, 02:42 PM
i've tried bringing power to the old motor and nothing is going with it either , i thought of the defecticve reman. so i tried the old motor and it was still a no-go.

if i pull the panel off of the other door and plug in the motor to it's plug would that show whether the motor was defective and that it's something else going on??

if i do that do i need the motor grounded or connected to the regulator???

Old 05-15-02, 02:44 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Sure it would. If the motor turns, you're ok in the sense that the motor works.

I would just run power to the motor itself with the battery and see if goes. If it doesn't, you have a defective rebuilt motor. Not uncommon .

Old 05-15-02, 03:50 PM
i tried to run some wire (house wire mind you) from the battery to the old and reman motors and didn't get anything from them , mind you i had my wife helping me

would i be able to swap the drivers motor with the passengers motor for the time being. i figured if i'm going to test it with the plug on the passenger side if it doesn't work i'll just rip the motor out of that door and put it into the drivers door until i can get a new reman motor.

this is a two door by the way.

thanks again

Old 05-15-02, 06:00 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Ya, but that's a hell of a lot of work to do that...and the motors might be different for each side

If bringing power to either motor doesn't work, you might have two dead motors. Bring that one back to the parts store and have them test it or give you another one.

Search this Thread