Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Mazda 626 timing

Visiting Guest

05-17-02, 10:51 AM   #1  
egaptap
Mazda 626 timing

Where do I set the crank and the cam for a 1987 Mazda 626 for the timing .

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

05-17-02, 11:34 PM   #2  
knuckles
You need a service manual. A $14 Haynes manual will provide you with the info you need, along with a bunch of other info you may need in the future. A wise investment.

Visiting Guest

05-18-02, 06:21 AM   #3  
Joe_F
Also, try checking the www.autolibrary.org link for some ideas.

I agree with Knuckles on the manual though.

Visiting Guest

05-18-02, 08:11 PM   #4  
mikejmerritt
Hello egaptap, I have a "91 626 and also have a Haynes manual on the car. This car has the 4 cylinder and timing the car according to Haynes is not possible on my car. I assume the crank mark is the balancer key as most Mazdas are but the cam has 4 marks on it. After much effort a call to my local mechanic informed me the valve cover must be removed and timed by valve position. You can freely try this because this is not an interference engine and no damage should occur due to bad timing.....Mike

05-20-02, 03:48 AM   #5  
4 or 6 cylinder? My '93 2.5 V6 is 6 degrees before top dead center. I think that is right, not sure until I look in my book or on the underhood sticker. No underhood sticker on yours? By all means, get a book (model specific) with info on that car. It only takes one DIY job on that car, or any car, to pay for the book.

Search this Thread