Throttle position sensor

Old 05-17-02, 11:56 AM
peanut44
Visiting Guest
Throttle position sensor

Can you tell me something about a throttle position sensor for my 1989 Dodge Aries?It looks easy to replace,but does it have to be adjusted afterwards? I'm trying to avoid a garage this time,due to finances.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-02, 03:22 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I doubt this is your black smoke problem if that's what you mean....

Check the links in my signature file, most notably www.autolibrary.org for service manual information, photos and other ideas.

Old 05-18-02, 09:01 AM
peanut44
Visiting Guest
Throttle Position Sensor

Hi Joe
This is a example of how my mechanic has been doing me.He replaced the timing belt and told me that the timing belt was probably the cause of the black smoke.And he said that he did a diagnostic and the Throttle position sensor is out of range,so that is probably what's causing the fuel problem,but there is a chance that it could be something else.I got in my car and left.I did not fall off the back of the turnip truck......I drove it!!!
I wish I had caught on to him a long time ago.You live and learn

Old 05-18-02, 09:33 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
A bad timing belt will cause it to run rough, if it even runs at all! The belt should be changed as a maintenance, not breakdown item. So you are OK to do it there.

A bad TPS usually gives hesitation type problems. It should be cheap enough and easy to replace yourself. If the mounting holes on it are slotted, typically, adjustment is required. Many just bolt on and bolt off with Torx type screws (you can get these sockets at Sears, any parts store, Home Depot or place that sells tools).

The correct way to test a TPS is to measure the voltage at idle and through the range (depends on the vehicle) and you can look for erratic operation using a digital volt-ohm meter as well.

Many parts stores can also test parts to determine fault before you spend the money to replace it.

Autozone for one will rent you a diagnostic scanner/code reader with instructions which will tell you what if any codes are stored in the computer. Try that route first before replacing parts on the whim that they might be the problem.

Old 05-19-02, 07:29 AM
peanut44
Visiting Guest
Throttle position sensor?......(((NOT)))

Hi Joe,
Well it turned out that the timing wasn't set on my car and I took a chance and bought a map sensor.Car is running great.It cost me $46 for the part and thanks to a friend doing the work,no labor charge.Thanks again Joe.You were right on about it probably being the map sensor.Thank you.Maybe I can leave you alone now.....for awhile

Old 05-19-02, 08:54 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Yup, that is a common cause of black smoke. I did mention that to you in another post.

Good job on the repair!