chevy truck cv boot

Old 05-17-02, 06:32 PM
chevy truck cv boot

Just noticed grease slung on wheel well of my 94 chevy 1500 4 wheel drive.
I overlook this truck almost daily for any leaks or problems, bad habit!
Boot on right cv(outer) is split right behind smaller inner band clamp, half around shaft.
This I am sure happend in the last day or so with about 10 miles or so but quite a bit of grease flung out.
Would it be safe to replace with a split boot replacement and repack with grease?
Also have the new style boots improved in the last few years.
I know a few years ago many had a set of bolts that sealed the seam.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-02, 11:24 PM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
Split boots STINK!

I wouldn't bother with a split boot. They cost MORE than a new OEM style boot & they're harder to install, in my opinion.

I'd recommend removing the axle, replacing the broken/torn boot with a new OEM GM or Moog boot kit. You can buy or rent the tool necessary to properly crimp the new CV boot clamp(s).

Old 05-18-02, 04:42 PM
decided to replace half shaft

Well after looking at the split boots and trying to see how in the world they would seal water/dirt out and figureing I should change both boots while I was at, iit was less expensive to replace the whole outer right hand half shaft.
$65.00!
My question is I bought a Chilton book for my 4 wheel drive 94 chevrolet, what a waste, nice if you want to rebuild engine and check belts.
Whats the best manual?
Once the wheel,hub nut,rotor & backing plate are removed (if needed) ,can the axle shaft be removed by dropping the inner end down & sliding the shaft out from the wheel end without removing ball joints and such?
I don't think I am right but for some reason by looking at it , if I remove axle nut inside rotor and remove the inner 6 flange bolts the half shaft should slide out without removing ball joints and spindle.
Thanks in advance for any ifo

Old 05-18-02, 07:19 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
The OEM GM manual. Far superior to any other one out there.

They build the vehicle, they know it the best.

See the links below where to get them. Helm Inc. at www.helminc.com sells the GM ones.

Old 05-20-02, 05:00 PM
(R) outer axle shaft 94 chevy 4x4

As far as removing the outer right CV joints (axle shaft) in doing a better job as to just replaceing a torn boot and almost the same cost I do understand to remove sway arm mounting bolt,lower shock bolt and swing shock away and outer tie rod end and useing a puller to force shaft back into hub and out after flange bolts are removed but is it really needed to remove upper ball joint?
I dont understand what this would help in plus would like to avoid extra work.
Thanks

Search this Thread