Water pump on a Chevy K-1500

Old 05-20-02, 09:27 AM
Krystyne
Visiting Guest
Question Water pump on a Chevy K-1500

Is it hard to replace a water pump on a Chevy K-1500 truck if you are doing it yourself?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-02, 09:30 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Year? Engine size?

Old 05-20-02, 09:37 AM
Krystyne
Visiting Guest
Water Pump

It is a 1992, 350 Liter.

Old 05-20-02, 09:40 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
No, generally not hard at all.

Suggest you pick up a repair manual for it (any parts store or try the local library). That being said, you can also look at the www.autolibrary.org link in my signature file below.

Old 05-20-02, 09:41 AM
Krystyne
Visiting Guest
water pump

Thank you, I just can't see paying $61.00 for a new one and paying all the labor for someone else to do it if it is simple to do.

Old 05-20-02, 09:48 AM
Krystyne
Visiting Guest
autolibrary

My vehicle is not listed in the autolibrary.org. Any other suggestions?

Old 05-20-02, 10:19 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Try looking it up for a C series (2WD truck...K is 4WD). It should be the same thing, same motor.

Barring that, go to any parts store and buy a 15 dollar Haynes manual. Good investment. You can try some local libraries, they have some repair manuals too.

Old 05-20-02, 11:39 PM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb

The autolibrary site can be difficult to navigate until you get used to its quirks. Your truck is listed. Click here for autolibrary.org's water pump R&R procedure.

Old 05-21-02, 12:05 AM
Pay attention when doing your work. Many of the K's are mad ein Canada and have a mixture of SAE and metric bolts. GM seems fond of 15mm. Be careful not to round off bolt heads with the wrong tool. Job should take less than 2 hours for a novice with a manual. Be sure to clean your gasket surfaces well.

Old 05-21-02, 05:58 AM
Krystyne
Visiting Guest
Thank you for all your help....couldn't bring myself to paying for someone else to do it for a $25.00 part, as we all seem to do time and time again. I was told that if the person who is going to be doing it has put in a starter, an altenator and a radiator, that he should be able to put in a water pump.