89 toyota

Old 05-20-02, 05:55 PM
u2what4
Visiting Guest
89 toyota

i am trying to diagnose an oil leak on a toyota van with no luck and am starting to worry about bearing damage even tho i am putting oil in every time it gets a little low( half quart) is it worth it to repair myself as i just got another for parts (minus) engine since the front suspension and brakes and steering are bad
ps i tried to use the link in joe_f's postings for chilton and it asks for a password or gives me a cgi error

Old 05-20-02, 06:02 PM
u2what4
Visiting Guest
correction

sorry my van is an 89 toyota van-wagon with a 22r engine and auto transmission

Old 05-20-02, 08:09 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
These things are headaches. I remember the first time I drove one and realized I was sitting on the engine. Piss poor design and not worth a wooden nickel

Gunk the engine down completely and change the oil and filter. Refill the crank to capacity.

Now observe where the leak is coming from. Tell us what you find and where it's coming from.

Old 05-22-02, 11:07 PM
u2what4
Visiting Guest
89 toyota

did like you said but unfortunatly can only get drivers sid and front of engine and after removing pass. seat and cover still cannot see the back of engine which ic where it appears to be coming from

Old 05-23-02, 03:50 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Call the dealer and find the oil pressure switch. Check that area. Common leak point. Replace it if so. Couple of bucks.

Old 05-23-02, 11:26 PM
u2what4
Visiting Guest
degreased engine and did l.o.f noticed lot of wet oil on intake man. and below head gasket but if my head gasket was bad wouldn't i get oil in my rad?

Old 05-24-02, 03:56 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Nope. Head gaskets can leak oil too.

My friend's parent's just found that out on their 1997 Dodge Stratus to the tune of 1200 bucks. This is a known problem on their model car.

Old 05-27-02, 09:07 AM
u2what4
Visiting Guest
finnaly found it!! the oil leak is coming from my rear main seals unfortunatly they are not part of the oil pan gasket so the tranny has to be seperated to get to them (3 pieces) what a pain in the A@# any ideas on an easy way or tips to at least make it easier?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: