Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Transmission Fluid and Filter change

Visiting Guest

05-21-02, 06:41 AM   #1  
Lawnboy_158
Transmission Fluid and Filter change

I'm gonna try to change the transmission fluid and filter on my Chevy C1500 pickup this weekend. i would like to know if I should put any kind of sealant like permatex on the new pan gasket? Any other advice would help too. Thank you

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

05-21-02, 08:07 AM   #2  
Joe_F
Use a little black Permatex on the gasket to hold it in place. The gasket does the sealing, not the sealer. Clean the old gasket off good.

Use a Felpro gasket on the pan. They are high quality. See the links in my signature file for more ideas and links.

Visiting Guest

05-27-02, 09:51 AM   #3  
storminnorman
that would depend on the type pan gasket you are gonna use? if you use duraprene do not use a sealer, generally a sealer is not neseccary if both surfaces are cleaned properly.
WARNING!!! WARNING!!! and by the way please be advised, if your 1500 series has an overdrive transmission (700r4 or 4l60e) if the sealer clogs the drain back hole for the 2/4 servo, (there is a recess in the pan for the drain back) you just destroyed your transmission, in a rather short time. if you end up needing one visit my site

Group Moderator

FL

05-28-02, 10:25 AM   #4  
Check the gasket that comes with your filter. Some of them now have several undersize bolt holes; you stick the bolts up through these to keep the gasket in place and aligned while you get it in place.

Visiting Guest

05-28-02, 10:48 AM   #5  
Joe_F
TowGuy is right, but I still use a little (not much) Permatex to hold the gasket in place. Typically, I lay the gasket in place, let it set for a few minutes, go inside have a glass of water and then go to town .

You can stick the bolts through the gasket and pan to keep the gasket in place while it dries on the pan area.

Felpro makes excellent gaskets for these types of applications. Always use their recommended sealer (if any) to prevent leaks.

Search this Thread