Car wont GO!!!! HELP!!!!

Old 05-23-02, 10:59 PM
mrcrud
Visiting Guest
Angry Car wont GO!!!! HELP!!!!

Hey all,

I really need all the help i can get here! I own a Jetta 88 with the 1.8L gas engine and man. transmission. The engine idles at 1000rpm and is pretty stable there. When pressing the gas, there is a very slight hesitation, and then, it revs smoothly. Now when i release the clutch to get going, there is a very precise point in the clutch travel when something goes terribly wrong. At this precise point, the engine starts choking and the oil and temperature lights come on. If i dont floor it at this point, the engine dies. I dont even know where to start looking!!!! There was no progression in this problem, it just started doing this, which makes it even harder for me to think of what it could be. The only thing i've done to the car recently is an oil change at a dealer, so i cant imagine they would've screwed up anything...

Thanks for any help!

Mr.Crud

Old 05-23-02, 11:05 PM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
Is your Jetta equipped w/ CIS injection? If so, look for a cracked intake boot. This is the big black rubber thing that runs between the throttle body & air cleaner/fuel distributor assy. Air leaks in this area play hell with the air/fuel mixture & can cause the condition you described.

Old 05-23-02, 11:30 PM
mrcrud
Visiting Guest
The rubber piece is cracked. What could i use as a 'patch' solution while i go look for another? Any way to prevent this from happening again?

Thanks for the reply!

Mr.Crud

Old 05-23-02, 11:35 PM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
You could try to patch it with "sensor safe" silicone sealer, but it's likely an excercise in futility. Try the link below for a used boot/duct or see your friendly VW dealer for a new one.

Morgan's Auto Parts

Old 05-23-02, 11:42 PM
mrcrud
Visiting Guest
Right now, i just want something that'll let me go to a dealer. I think i can even get one free too. I just had an oil change done, and this problem surfaced right after ( 15 min later ) so i can always ask them to give me a new one, i cant imagine this part being real expensive. I just wasnt sure this simple rubber boot could cause so much havoc in an engine!

Thanks a lot for your help!

Mr.Crud

Old 05-23-02, 11:49 PM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
The silicone sealer trick may work for a while...if you give the sealer at least 12 hrs. to cure.

I personally don't think you have much of a case for "getting one for free". Your car is 14 years old & an oil change does not involve working anywhere near the intake boot.

However, if the tech who did the oil change also checked your air filter in an attempt to sell more work, he could have cracked the boot. BUT, you may have a tough time proving this as the car apparently ran OK when it left the dealership.

Good luck!

Old 05-23-02, 11:57 PM
mrcrud
Visiting Guest
I can actually see how he could have cut the boot. The oil cap on the engine is quite close to the intake boot.

it's worth a try at least!

Thanks a lot for your help....Sleep time now, it's 3am here, gotta go to work tomorrow!!!

Mr.Crud

Old 05-24-02, 03:53 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Not worth the effort. Replace the boot and then go back to the quickie lube joint with the bill and explain to them that they cracked it.

If they are reasonable, they will just pay you for the part. If not, and it's a chain, call the head office and make a stink.

However as Knuckles said, you have an old car. Even if the guy split the boot by working in there, it's 14 years old and was probably brittle anyhow.

Don't patch it. Fix it right.

Old 05-24-02, 02:22 PM
mrcrud
Visiting Guest
Hey,

I just wanted a quick fix to be able to get to the place i had the oil change at! In no way was i expecting a quick fix to last any more than a few miles!!!

Anyhow, got everything fixed now. The little rubber boot was partially responsible for the problems. The other culprit was a loose ground wire. The place was totally cool about giving me the replacement rubber boot, and they quickly fixed my grounds for cheap.

I just really didnt know what this problem was coming from...

Thanks for the help!!

Mr.Crud

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: