74 chevy tranny

Old 05-24-02, 07:24 AM
bryan77
Visiting Guest
74 chevy tranny

I have a 74 chevy 350 turbo tranny, right now Im in the process of yanking the engine for a rebuild just as a project I work on it when I can, the car has sat for maybe 2 months now and I got under the car for the first time since I parked it to disconnect the exhaust, and I found a big puddle of tranny fluid probably 2' wide by 4' long, I looked around and didnt find any obvious location of the leak.I took the flywheel cover off to start unbolting the torque converter and the inside of the cover had fluid in it and it has a drain hole in it, but the torque converter and its surroundings are clean. I just had the tranny rebuilt maybe 5000 miles ago, I paid a mechanic to do the work, any ideas on my leak. thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-02, 07:50 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Likely a main seal. Common problem.

Back to the person that rebuilt it and have them make good on the rebuild...

Old 05-24-02, 03:51 PM
1972 350 TH sounds like same thing.

I just replaced the front seal and a cracked O ring around the pump area on a 1972 350 TH. The customer had let the truck sit for 6 mos & his trany had less than 1000 miles on it. This O ring will if cracked let fluid leak when parked. It was cracked.

There are as many choices for parts to rebuild a transmission, as there are for building an engine. I used a B&M O ring to replace the broken one. The one the builder used was from a bin and just might make OEM. The point is, there are good heavy duty name brand parts, and cheap ones that a lot of shops use, by buying them by the gross to save money.

This sounds just like his leak, I only replaced the input shaft seal because it came in the kit & since I was there, might as well. That seal only leaks when it is running though. The large O ring has fluid behind it when it is parked.

It is an easy fix when you have the engine out.
Good luck & have fun building that engine. My engine in my 69 is a 1974, 4 bolt main 350 that I took out of my best so far Chevy truck my 1974 C/10. It got the body rots from GMs little experiment into how little Nickel we can put into the sheet metal, between 1973 & 1978, so a lot of good Chevy P/Us just rusted away.
Marturo

Old 05-25-02, 09:08 PM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
another possibility

The convertor can drain if the car sits for an extended period of time. This causes the transmission to be "overfilled" & can force fluid out of the transmission vent or the front seal.

You said the torque convertor was dry...how about the trans. pump? If the pump was wet w/ ATF, suspect the pump seal. The good news is, it's easy to replace with the engine removed.

Old 05-27-02, 09:40 AM
storminnorman
Visiting Guest
the car has sat for maybe 2 months now
the seal should not have dried up within a few months, there is a good chance the slector level seal is leaking, that will run down the pan rail and into the torque convertor cover, take your little pinky and put it up into the ledge just below the front pump if your pinky gets wet it is probably the front seal, oring or pump gasket leaking, if it is dry, check the pan gasket and selector shaft seal carefully.