'92 Dodge Spirit

Old 05-25-02, 10:22 AM
attatched2mycar
Visiting Guest
Unhappy '92 Dodge Spirit

My mom's 1992 Dodge Spirit has a huge problem. She took it to a mechanic because it was acting up and he told her that her engine was leaking oil from everywhere and she might as well buy a new car! Well, this is kinda sad for my mom and I because it is the first car she has paid off in full... so it has some sentimental value to it. If anyone knows how to find engine blueprints on this 1992 Dodge's engine, or has a do-it-yourself instructions for beginners, I would like them very much. I understand engines are very complicated, but with my mom's knowledge of cars, I hope we can accomplish something... even if it is just taking the engine apart and cleaning it. That would probably help for a little bit of time. It would be greatly appreciated for any information about my project. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-02, 02:44 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Check the links in my signature file for some service manual information. If not, go to your local library or parts store and pick up a repair manual for your car. They are cheap and will give you some idea what you are looking at.

That being said, steam clean the engine so it's clean. Now start it up and observe where the oil is coming from.

Common places: Valve covers, oil pan gaskets, oil sending units, crankshaft seals, head gaskets, etc.

You might also have a clogged PCV system. Change the valve and the rubber elbow the valve sits on.

We don't know what engine size, so we cannot help in any depth.

The mechanic is right. This is a very lackluster car and isn't worth a wooden nickel, but you like it and want to stick with it....that's ok.