changed brake pads, pedal is still soft.

Old 05-25-02, 06:07 PM
changed brake pads, pedal is still soft.

i had about 20% of my stock brake pads left. i changed the pads tonight and thought that the brakes wouldn't be as soft after the change. the brakes seems soft to me, meaning i have to push the pedal in about 3 inches to get stopped, about the same distance as before. is that normal? i assumned that that distance would be shorter with new pads. am i missing something? i checked the fluid, it's fine. they do not pull at all, there is no noise. there shouln't be any air in the lines, i didn't disconnect them. any ideas, or am i paranoid?

thanks,
mitch.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-02, 08:41 PM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
paranoia

Worn brake pads will not cause a low or soft pedal & new brake pads won't cure a low or soft pedal problem.

3" of travel could be normal....or not. Depends on the car. We can provide more specific info if you tell us what you're working on.

Old 05-25-02, 09:13 PM
i assumed that the mor worn your pads are, the farther you must press the pedal. newer pads would require less of a distance to push the pedal. am i wrong in thinking this?

it's a 2000 nissan crew cab frontier 4x4. 30,000 miles. first time changing the pads...

Old 05-25-02, 09:19 PM
Nope, unlike drum brakes, your pedal travel doesn't increase as the pads wear. This is because the calipers constantly adjust for that wear. What you will find as disc brakes wear is that your master cylinder fluid level decreases and must be replentished. If you have a soft or spongy pedal, I would go ahead and bleed your system, starting from the break cylinder farthest from the master cylinder and progressing forward.

Old 05-25-02, 09:20 PM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
i assumed that the mor worn your pads are, the farther you must press the pedal. newer pads would require less of a distance to push the pedal. am i wrong in thinking this?
Yes, you're wrong. Disc brakes are self-adjusting. The caliper piston(s) moves closer to the rotor as the pad wears in order to maintain a consistent pedal height.

Search this Thread