Deep Cycle Battery ???

Old 05-25-02, 06:41 PM
Unhappy Deep Cycle Battery ???

Hi,
I own a deep cycle type battery for my 29 ft travel trailer.The battery is 4yrs old,but basically only used for 1-2 seasons.
During the winter months,I put it on a slow 2amp charge,off and on.
I charged it for quite awhile this spring,and it is acting like any draw on it is draining it,even a couple small lights in the trailer,get dimmer?
How can I test it to see if it has a dead cell or something?
Is there anything I can check with a digital Volt meter,as I have one,just tell me what to check?
The water level in the cells was a little low,so I just added distilled water,and put it on a 2amp charge for 10hrs?Any thoughts?
Also This is a Wal-Mart battery,are there better brands that may last better?Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-02, 08:37 PM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
You can test the cells individually with a hydrometer. A reading below 1200 indicates a weak cell. Below 1150 is a bad cell. You can buy a hydrometer at nearly any auto parts store for $5 or less.

Another option would be to charge the battery overnight, load it for a minute or 2, remove the load, then check the voltage across the + and - terminals. You should have at least 13.2 V.

I believe Exide manufactures Wal-Mart batteries. In my experience, the batteries themselves aren't that great, but Wal-Mart is pretty good about warranty service.

If you want a good deep cycle battery, check out the Voyager from Delco.