Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Smelling Brakes!

05-25-02, 07:47 PM   #1  
Smelling Brakes!

I just put on a set of bendix titanium brakes with the wear in surface. Are they supposed to smell bad during the first few miles?

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

05-26-02, 08:34 AM   #2  
Joe_F
They likely will smell until the coating wears off, yes.

Do they brake normally (no pulling, grabbing, pulsating)?

05-26-02, 10:32 AM   #3  
My car is a 92 Camaro Z28. The car was pulling to the right, the passenger side brakes would stick and then release after moving a little bit. I have only driven around my block so far. I am thinking that the right rotor needs to wear in a little. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Visiting Guest

05-26-02, 02:53 PM   #4  
Joe_F
Not likely.

You have bad flexible rubber hoses going to the caliper (at minimum) and maybe bad calipers.

Dump the rubber hoses for new ones and bleed the whole thing. The problem will likely go away. The hoses rot from inside out and act like check valves causing what you are getting.

05-27-02, 09:13 PM   #5  
Thanks for the input Joe. I couldn't find the lines because of the holiday. I took the car out for a short drive (3 miles or so) and the pulling to the left had stopped, it pulled a little to the right at first, but stopped after a mile or so. It still had the smell. When I got home I raised the car and spun the tires, both were hard to turn. I thought this might be due to the calipers, or lines, so I had a friend press on the brakes while I turned the wheels. The brakes locked the wheels then released to allow the wheels to turn, although still tight. I have never used the Bendix titanum brakes before so I am not sure if this is characteristic of the break in layer. Do you have any experience with these breaks?

Visiting Guest

05-28-02, 05:38 AM   #6  
Joe_F
The pads aren't the problem, but they were likely a waste of money. Any good quality pad is fine for a car like that.

If the brakes pull, that means something is hanging up. Typically, the brake hoses fatigue and rot from inside out and act like a check valve. Start there first and see what happens.

AL

05-28-02, 07:35 AM   #7  
Joe, you commented that the hoses rot from the inside out. Is this a problem peculiar to this particular vehicle, or all cars? By the way, what are Titanum brake pads?

Visiting Guest

05-28-02, 07:48 AM   #8  
Joe_F
It's common on many cars due to the construction of the hoses. They rot from the inside out and act as a check valve causing grief.

They are a couple of bucks from any parts store and most stock them.

Titanium brake pads by Bendix are pads with titanium in them for supposed better stopping power. I use Raybestos PG grade or any quality pad and it's fine. I don't spend the extra money for "premium" brake pads...I don't believe there's a good reason to do so. I find a lot of them are noisy and squeal as well as make a lot of dust on the wheels.

Search this Thread