Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Charging System Diagnostics

AL

05-25-02, 09:09 PM   #1  
Charging System Diagnostics

I have been told that one way to check if you have a defective alternator or generator is to crank the vehicle and disconnect the battery. If the engine continues to run, the alt/gen is OK. If it dies, the alt/gen or some component of the charging system is defective. Is this a reasonable test? Is there a more definitive way to check the charging system with a standard shop multi-tester? The car I am actually trying to resuscitate is a 1967 Datsun 411 with the 1600 cc engine. It has been parked for 4 - 5 years and required a major clean-up of gunk in the fuel line and gas tank before I could get fuel to the carbs. I finally got it running, but when I disconnect the battery the engine dies.

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

FL

05-26-02, 07:43 AM   #2  
Some vehicles will run with the battery disconnected and others will not, so not really a valid test. With the engine running, check voltage at the battery. Depending on the vehicle and alternator you should probably be seeing somewhere around 13.5-14.5 volts. At that age it may have an external regulator which could also be the culprit of any chagring problems. This is not a definitive test because there is amperage invloved, too, but it's a start. I'm assuming you dropped a new battery in it during the revival?

Visiting Guest

05-26-02, 08:17 AM   #3  
Joe_F
Definitely not a valid test...in fact a great way to wipe out the diodes in the alternator.

TowGuy gave you a much better way to check it...and more accurate too.

Search this Thread