Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Frozen wheel bearing?

Visiting Guest

05-26-02, 04:39 AM   #1  
Frozen wheel bearing?

Can anyone help with removing a frozen front wheel bearing? The outer bearing is frozen on a 1990 Dodge Dakota Pickup truck. I am not able to remove the hub assembly. I have tried heat to no avail and am in the process of cutting the bearing off the spindle. I am not able to drive the truck to a repair shop so any help will be appreciated. Any tips on cutting the bearing off will help, I don't have a cutting tourch.

Cliff

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

FL

05-26-02, 06:58 AM   #2  
Before you get too carried away, have you tried a heavy duty puller? Check a local tool rental place. Got to be a better way than cutting; with a puller you may save the spindle.

Super Moderator

CANADA

05-26-02, 07:24 AM   #3  
[email protected]:
If it's the outer bearing that's siezed, are you able to get the jaws of a puller behind the bearing to be able to pull it off?
Were you able to move the bearing a bit before it got stuck or is their no play in the hub?
Heat will only work for a bearing if you are able to heat the bearing faster than the spindle, so that the bearing expands faster than what it's stuck to. This would need an oxy-acetylene torch. A cutting torch could kill the spindle.

GregH.........HVAC/R Tech

Search this Thread