Frozen wheel bearing?

Old 05-26-02, 04:39 AM
Visiting Guest
Frozen wheel bearing?

Can anyone help with removing a frozen front wheel bearing? The outer bearing is frozen on a 1990 Dodge Dakota Pickup truck. I am not able to remove the hub assembly. I have tried heat to no avail and am in the process of cutting the bearing off the spindle. I am not able to drive the truck to a repair shop so any help will be appreciated. Any tips on cutting the bearing off will help, I don't have a cutting tourch.

Cliff

Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-02, 06:58 AM
Group Moderator
Before you get too carried away, have you tried a heavy duty puller? Check a local tool rental place. Got to be a better way than cutting; with a puller you may save the spindle.

Old 05-26-02, 07:24 AM
Super Moderator
[email protected]:
If it's the outer bearing that's siezed, are you able to get the jaws of a puller behind the bearing to be able to pull it off?
Were you able to move the bearing a bit before it got stuck or is their no play in the hub?
Heat will only work for a bearing if you are able to heat the bearing faster than the spindle, so that the bearing expands faster than what it's stuck to. This would need an oxy-acetylene torch. A cutting torch could kill the spindle.