Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Timing belt 1995 Monte Carlo 3.4

Visiting Guest

05-26-02, 12:15 PM   #1  
JAllen72
Timing belt 1995 Monte Carlo 3.4

The timing belt on my 95 Monte Carlo broke and I am having trouble trying to figure out exactly how to align timing marks on the camshaffts when they do not appear as they describe in the manual. I see a squiggly line on each cam spocket and also the numbers 0,2,7 and the GM trademark around the inside, but I do not see any lines or paint or anything else. Do I need to remove camshaft covers and procede from there or what? Also, how can I be sure I have the number 1 piston at top dead center on the exhaust stroke. If I do need to remove camshaft covers is it as simply as making sure the flats are up on one side and down on the other or much more complicated than that?

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

05-26-02, 02:49 PM   #2  
Joe_F
What manual are you using? If it's a Chilton or a Haynes, this is where this becomes a table prop and nothing more.

Get an alldata.com subscription or the factory manual. It's much more detailed for this type of repair....

05-27-02, 06:15 PM   #3  
Good luck on this engine it is difficult at best to get the cams in time.They make special tools to hold each pair of cams in sync.I f you send me your email I will send you GM service manual info,but I dont think it will help much on this engine,sorry,but let me know.

Search this Thread