Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

fuel economy

GA

05-27-02, 09:13 AM   #1  
fuel economy

I have a 92 Daihatsu Charade, 3 cylinder, 140,000 miles on the speedometer. I average about 38 miles per gallon of gas. I drive 46 miles one way to work 5 days per week, and most of it is interstate. My father-in-law used to average 47 miles per gallon when he owned the car. He drove a little further to work than I do now. I have had the car almost 3 years now. It had 74,500 miles on it when I got it from him. It has consistenly averaged 38 m.p.g., even though it has a lot more miles on it now. But, I wish it got a little bit more m.p.g. Is there anything I can do to improve my fuel economy even more? I have tried oils and additives that say better m.p.g., but they don't work.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

05-27-02, 02:43 PM   #2  
Joe_F
If the vehicle is well tuned, the tires are inflated to the proper pressure, the wheels are aligned, you drive easy and you don't overload the truck except when needed, there's not much more you can do.

38 MPG is excellent for any vehicle. The loss of mileage is likely due to the age of this old shoe. They are so-so vehicles, but quite thrifty on fuel. Eeek, I wouldn't drive that little can that far, gotta be really uncomfy .

There is no fix in a can. Leave those things on the shelf and do regular maintenance instead. That's better for your wallet and the longevity of the vehicle.

Search this Thread