Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

a/c problems

Visiting Guest

05-28-02, 09:43 AM   #1  
dashep41
a/c problems

I am attemepting to convert my R12 system to the 134 system. I have a 1986 Ford Mustang with the 5.0 engine. After evacuating the system and replacing the dryer I installed the conversion fittings. After 1- 12 oz can of 134, the pressure indicated 110 lbs. According to the gage, normal pressure should only be max of 45 lbs. I released the pressure and tried again with the same results.
Any suggestions would be appreciated. The compressor is kicking in, yet I feel no difference in temp between pressure and return lines.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

05-28-02, 10:46 AM   #2  
Joe_F
Whoa Nelley....

Each vehicle differs in what is needed to convert. Likely the hoses, receiver dryer, and possibly other parts need to be swapped over for it to work correctly.

You should change the orifice screen as well. A Motorcraft catalog might stipulate what needs to be changed over and what works with both types of refrigerant.

Why change to R134A? A vehicle that was originally designed for R12 runs best on R12 or an equivalent "drop in" (even those require some mods).

Visiting Guest

05-28-02, 07:54 PM   #3  
rickwhoo
i used the 30 or 40 dollar 134 kit on my brothers 85 mustang gt 3 years ago. this past weekend still blows cold.

05-29-02, 04:25 PM   #4  
As joe stated you could have a plugged orfice tube.It's in the high side (small line) that goes into the evaporator core.Your low side should read around 30 psi and about 200 to 250 psi on the high side.If the compressor kicks in then that shows you have enough freon in the system to actuate the cycling switch.That being the case you probably have one of two problems.(1)A bad compressor,it cycles but doesn't pump.(2)A blockage which you can usually easily see on your gauges because the high side will read equal to the low side(equalization)or way high causing the compressor to shut off.

Visiting Guest

05-30-02, 09:03 AM   #5  
oldmold
DASHEP

IF PRESSURE READING HIGH YOU HAVE A BLOCKAGE SOME WHERE, LINE, FILTER DRIER, ETC

Visiting Guest

05-30-02, 09:06 AM   #6  
oldmold
DASHEP

SORRY COULD ALSO BE A PRESSURE SWITCH NOT WORKING

Search this Thread