Truck starts but won't stop

Old 05-28-02, 06:20 PM
Skoozie
Visiting Guest
Question Truck starts but won't stop

I have a '96 Toyota Tacoma. I had been having slight problems getting it started at times, but it always did. Today, however, it started right up and was making a wierd noise. When I tried turning it off, it wouldn't. I had to disconnect the battery to get it to go off. Could it be the starter? What can I do?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-02, 07:20 PM
When you had trouble starting it, was it having trouble cranking or did you turn the key with no effect? It may be the ignition switch. Keep watching for posts, there are some great people who can answer this for you.

Kay

Old 05-28-02, 07:37 PM
Skoozie
Visiting Guest
Re:truck starts, wont stop

The key turned, but nothing really happened. It would take about two to three(sometimes more) before it would actually start. Everything else, like the radio, ac and lights would come on okay.

Thanks for the reply!

Skooz

Old 05-28-02, 07:55 PM
It sounds like the switch then. Usually you can pick one up at a Auto Parts place. I replaced one on my brothers truck, an old Datsun/Nissan or whoever the two companies that had one name on the truck. It wasn't hard to do, either. You have a newer vehicle and it probably has the adjustable steering wheel, etc. so I'm not sure how the procedure differs with the extras on there. Maybe Joe or someone else who is certified can direct you with more details. I always purchase a book from autozone or wherever for each vehicle I purchase. It makes simple repairs like these easier on me when I can see pictures LOL.

Kay

Old 05-28-02, 08:29 PM
Skoozie
Visiting Guest
Kay,

Thanks for your replies. I hope it is as simple as needing a new switch.(keeping my fingers crossed) Believe it or not, I have looked for a repair manual for this car at just about every auto parts store in the valley and none were available. I'll go out tomorrow and try to find one.(keeping my fingers crossed again).

I'll let you know how it goes.

Skooz

Old 05-29-02, 05:38 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Next time it happens, rap on the starter with a hammer (on the body of the starter).

If it now starts with no trouble, bad starter or poor connection.

Those are pretty light duty starters in those Toyotas, wouldn't put it past being defective.

Old 05-29-02, 10:00 AM
redneck
Visiting Guest
I believe the ignition switch is in the dash on those trucks, if so replacement should be easy. I had both '89 and '96 4x4 trucks, good machines. I still have the factory service manuals for the '89. The '96 may use the same switch as the '89, I can't remember anymore.

Old 05-29-02, 03:56 PM
Agree with Joe_F, it sounds like a starter or sticking solenoid.I've also seen low battery voltage do this.

Old 06-01-02, 09:44 PM
monstermechanic
Visiting Guest
starter won't stop

Don't hit it with a hammer the nippindenso starters are a magnetic case hitting it will just break the magnets
Tried this before and it cost me

Old 06-01-02, 11:25 PM
Skoozie,

I noticed something strange in your post:

"When I tried turning it off, it wouldn't. I had to disconnect the battery to get it to go off."

Why would your truck die if you removed the battery cable? Wouldn't your alternator keep it running?

Just to place my bet, it would be on the bad starter. However, you may have more than one problem

Old 06-02-02, 07:04 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Lol. What did you hit the starter with? If you used a sledgehammer, sure .

A ball peen hammer or the back of a rachet handle will "jar" it loose if it's stuck.

That being said, if such an operation ruins it, it must be made of gum. That's bad news.