Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

water pump replacement

Visiting Guest

05-28-02, 06:23 PM   #1  
oderie
water pump replacement

i have a 89 mercury sable ls, 3.8lt I would like to replace a leaking waterpump, Is there anything i need to know before replacing it and also how can i go about replacing it ?

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

05-29-02, 05:42 AM   #2  
Joe_F
You can check the link in my signature file for some ideas.

Another common leak area is the timing cover on a 3.8 Ford like that.

That and blown head gaskets . The 3.8 is a notorious gasket blower.

Group Moderator

FL

05-29-02, 10:52 AM   #3  
You beat me to it, Joe.

Make sure it's the water pump (if the problem is a leak). I had to repair a leak on my brother's '93 that a repair shop had diagnosed as water pump; was actually leaking from gasket between timing cover and block.

Pretty straight foward if it is water pump only, for timing cover a lot more involved.

Visiting Guest

05-29-02, 10:55 AM   #4  
Joe_F
Lol.

That's because I remembered your post from a while back TowGuy .

Good minds think alike.

Group Moderator

FL

05-29-02, 07:25 PM   #5  
The good news is the repair work seems to be holding up okay; just hoping it doesn't blow a head gasket before they decide to trade it off for something better.

Visiting Guest

05-30-02, 05:52 AM   #6  
Joe_F
True. My uncle and his family have a host of these Tauri/Sable gems, but fortunately they are 3.0 engines.

Otherwise I would be getting a ton of calls regarding engine problems. (I still do...lol...it's Ford...he he).

My cousin's 1993 is getting the proverbial signs of tranny slippage (as is his 1996 which I personally experienced). I told him when those cars hit 6 years old to pitch them (they were company cars) and get something better. Lol.

Visiting Guest

05-30-02, 10:38 AM   #7  
raggy
have fun

Search this Thread