transmission leak

Old 05-28-02, 06:26 PM
oderie
Visiting Guest
transmission leak

i have a 89 mercury sable ls 3.8lt, how can
I identify where the leak is?
I recently replaced the transmission and ever since it was leaking approx. 5 ounces per day.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-02, 07:22 PM
storminnorman
Visiting Guest
your gonna have to take a close look at it, alot areas a trans can leak from, look at the cooler lines good especially if they were press in lines. maybe put some paper under car to get a general ideal first. most transmission shops will ck it for leaks free while you wait, i have a trans shop usa locator on my web site, maybe one in your area.

Old 05-28-02, 07:24 PM
I've been told to wash the transmission casing and the entire underneath of a vehicle at a car wash, making sure to degrease and rinse it well. Then after driving it home, start watching for drips and spots on the underside of the vehicle. It may give you a clue to where it is originating from. Try not to drive at too high speeds during this time since the flow under a vehicle can push fluids (oil and tranny fluid) up and then forward in the engine compartment making leak locations harder to find.

I've also heard that using a black light underneath makes the fluid glow.

All just hearsay since I've only used the above method to find the origin of an engine oil leak.

Kay