Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Deep Cycle Battery Charge???

MA

05-28-02, 07:31 PM   #1  
Deep Cycle Battery Charge???

Hi,
I wrote earlier about my 12 volt Deep cycle battery for my travel trailer.I took it out of my trailer,as it was acting weak,just running small dome lights...
I put it on a 2amp charge for about 6 hrs a day for 3 days total.
I checked it berfore putting it back in with a hydrometer.
It reads re-charge! in the red zone (1100-1150) in all cells.
The water level is good?
The battery is about 4 yrs old,but only really used 1-2 yrs,but pulled for charging during the winter months?This is a Wal-Mart battery (deep-Cycle).Am I charging this correctly?Should I use the 10Amp charge?I own a 2/10/50 amp charger wich also does a .3 amp trickle charge.Or is this battery telling me it all done????????
Thanks, Charlie

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-28-02, 08:53 PM   #2  
Make sure your charger is working properly. If it is, you probably need a new battery. You may be able to bring it back to life by putting it on a high-amp charge that will burn off the corrosion on the cell plates, but you will be better off with a new one. Here's a dumb question, but it has to be asked: did the charger happen to get switched to 6v by accident?

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Last edited by cheese; 05-29-02 at 11:39 PM.

05-28-02, 09:33 PM   #3  
Assuming the charger is OK, if ALL cells read around 1100 after 18 hours of charging, then it is an ex-battery. Buy a new one.

Search this Thread