4x4 offroading, odd smell afterwards

Old 05-28-02, 07:32 PM
4x4 offroading, odd smell afterwards

ok, i know what you are thinking, either clutch or mud stuck somewhere burning. i have an automatic, so no clutch. i cleaned off the undercarraige like a madman. the truck is a 2000 nissan crew cab 4x4 3.3 v-6.

this is what happened. i was going through a mud trail. my tires are low on tread, so i kept on the gas heavy until i was through. i was in 4-low in 1st gear. i was focused on the driving, and never looked at the tach, so god only knows how high they were. when i stopped at the end of the trail, i smelled something like a burnt clutch, only the odor was different. burnt fluid of somekind it seemed. i figured it was mud or trail debris hitting the hot engine/exhaust. i got home, pressure washed the truck for almost 1.5 hours. this was yesterday. went to work this morning, truck ran great, smooth shifts, no noise, nothing out of the ordinary. when i got to work, and noticed the same smell. when i got home this evening, nothing. i ran a test. i went out and ran the truck at WOT a few times, nothing major, and noticed the same smell. did not notice any fluids leaking. i will check the tranny fluid tomorrow, which i had changed a few weeks ago so it's somewhat fresh. i'm not sure what to do next. i don't want some sort of damage to surprise me later. but since everything seems ok now, minus the smell, it's got me a little confused.

might i add, i VERY rarely run the truck at WOT. i'm a conservative driver. on the rare occasion i do run at WOT, i do notice a faint smell ( since the day i bought the truck new), i figured it was just the engine running harder than normal. but this recent smell was very strong at the trail, and seems to be getting fainter...

any ideas or suggestions???

Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-02, 08:37 PM
What type trail did you ride and water? Just a curious 4x4'er too. I went down in the bottoms with my truck once and discovered the stuff I was turning over with my truck had a bad smell. I always throw my 'mud' boots in the back 'just in case' and after the smell didn't go away after washing the truck thoroughly, I discovered it was the boots! I can't describe the smell either, sure didn't smell like river funk, but guess that's what it was.

I ride with the windows down so it is inevitable that the mud gets inside the truck, too. I had to pull a guy out on that trip so the back window was down as well. (Blazer, fullsized).

Watch the rpm's carefully (or speedometer if that's all you have). I've scared myself goofing off to see that I'm not going anywhere but my tires are going close to 70 mph. Don't want to burn this old baby up ('79). She's been a good truck, and is also our family station wagon LOL!

Kay

Ps. just an afterthought...might want to check the consistency of the oil now. if you run big trucks hard and heavy, the oil can burn and thicken.

K.

Old 05-29-02, 05:36 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
You should always keep an eye on the tach. Small engines do not like to be revved and give up hope fast when they do .

Describe the smell. What does it smell like? Rotten eggs? Fluid? If so, what type?

After some heavy four wheeling like that, I would do a fluid and filter change throughout the truck. 4 wheeling is heavy duty stress on the components.

Old 05-29-02, 07:10 AM
well, i know what burnt clutch smells like, and it wasn't that, but it was similar. i don't know what tranny fluid smells like, but it shifts fine now, if not better than before. it's not rotten eggs, that's for sure. i see no leaks... i could smell it after i got to work this morning again. the only thing that i can think of is, and this may be off a little, but you know when you have a small electric motor (like in a toy) that hasn't been run in a long time, and you turn it on, and it has that burnt smell to it? kinda like that.

all i can say it it smells like what an engine that has been run hard smells like, but it's not going away...

Old 05-29-02, 07:15 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
If it's a 2000 vehicle, it should be covered under warranty. Bring it to the dealer and have them have a look at it.

Old 05-29-02, 08:00 AM
i just stopped at the dealer, they looked at the tranny oil, engine oil, etc. they said it all looked ok. so i guess i am paranoid, or there is some mud hiding somewhere...