Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Transmission

Visiting Guest

05-29-02, 02:10 AM   #1  
SlyKatt
Transmission

I own a 1990 3.8L Mercury Cougar automatic transmission with 146,000 miles! First of all, I have no over drive at all, which I haven't since I bought it from a friend. About 3 months ago, I had my rack and pinnion and brake booster replaced, my head lights re-mounted, and a tune-up and oil change. With all this, they change my transmission oil and filter. Before I took it to the shop I had no problem with it shifting out of first gear. Now, sometimes when I turn onto a highway, my car doesn't want to shift out of first. It will sit there, not speeding up just making my rpms hit the roof. Could it be my torque compressor, or will I have to get a new transmission?? Any advice would almost make me fall in love with you!
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

05-29-02, 05:30 AM   #2  
Joe_F
Likely internal failure at this stage of the game.

The old fluid was likely burned and by changing it, new fluid tends to wash out the debris into the valve body and clog the works up .

Sometimes when the fluid is that bad, it's worth it to just drive it till it drops and then replace the tranny. The fluid was likely original when you first changed it .

Search this Thread