Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Too much tranny fluid, Ford Econoline Van

Visiting Guest

05-29-02, 03:17 PM   #1  
Debbie Ann
Too much tranny fluid, Ford Econoline Van

Hello..... I have a 1990 Ford Econoline 1/2 ton Van ... I believe it is a E150. I realized the automatic transmission is not be shifting correctly. I checked the tranny fluid and there is Too much fluid in it. I found out my daughter put the tranny fluid in, because she thought is was too low. Thank goodness she did use Type F. It shifts down too early and too much. When I'm going slow and then press on the gas to go faster, the tranny does not shift down properly. I hope after I take out some fluid, it will work correctly. I need to find out how to remove the fluid. When I check it, running, warm and level surface, it looks like it's about 3/4" past the full line on the dip-stick. I don't know how much fluid that is and how to take/drain some out. Please help!! Thanks ... Debbie Ann
PS. yes I also had the Chevy van with a bad tranny. I guess transmissions and I don't go very well together. :-(

Sponsored Links

05-29-02, 03:47 PM   #2  
I would suggest you service the transmission(fluid and filter). If the van is a 1990 it uses dexron transmission fluid and not type F.
Also check your modulator valve and or TV(throtte valve) cable if the fluid concern doesn't help.Too much fluid in a transmission will cause it to get air bubbles in the fluid which can cause the concerns you mentioned.Good luck.

Visiting Guest

05-29-02, 05:39 PM   #3  
blshakers
If you just want to lower the fluid level and have an transmition cooler you are in good shape, You can loosen one of the hoses going to the cooler(probably by the radiator) Some will drain out, you can place the hose in an container and start the van, this will pump out fluid, just be careful not to pump out to much.

The other option would be to drop the pan or if the cooler lines at the radiator.

Good Luck

Visiting Guest

05-29-02, 10:42 PM   #4  
Debbie Ann
Oh Fordtech.... I do hope my daughter used the right fluid. I will have to ask her dad. Hopefully he knows, it used to be his van. I will have it serviced immediately. Will I hurt the transmission if I drive it to a shop? I did drive it before I realized the fluid level was too high. Also, if the wrong fluid was used, do you think I caused damage to the transmission because I drove it?
Thanks for the help .....I really appreciate it...... Debbie

blshakers.... I don't know what a transmission cooler is. I will ask the repair shop. Thank you for your help ..... Debbie

Visiting Guest

05-30-02, 03:09 AM   #5  
blshakers
if you look at the front of the van, it is usually behind the grill just in front og the radiator, it is allot smaller than the radiator and is usually to one side or the other,it will have two 3/8" lines coming from it. that is what you can disconnect.

Hope this helps.

Stop by you local auto parts and they can show you. This will save you the expense.

Visiting Guest

05-30-02, 05:41 AM   #6  
Joe_F
Welcome back Fordtech. Good to see you again after a long absence!

Change the fluid and the filter, using the correct type of fluid as stipulated in the owner's manual. Don't shortcut it.

05-30-02, 11:24 AM   #7  
The fluid that was added will probably not have hurt the transmission. Just service it and you should be ok.
Joe,left the shop recently to go driving the big rigs so can only get on here when home.

Visiting Guest

05-30-02, 11:41 AM   #8  
Joe_F
"Eastbound and down...loaded up and truckin', we're going to do what they say can't be done...East bound and down.....watch old Bandit run!".

---Jerry Reed (he plays the trucker friend, "Snowman"), from Smokey and the Bandit, 1977 .

Lol. You and Big Mike could start a convoy .

I'll supply the Trans Ams

Visiting Guest

06-01-02, 06:42 PM   #9  
storminnorman
3/4 over filled will not kill the unit if you drive it to have fluid removed or drained and serviced, actually there are a few transmissions it is recomended to overfill slightly. (yours is not one) 3/4 inch will not put the level up into the planetary gear train (revolving parts) that will beat air into the atf. but yes do have the fluid changed or removed, alot of techs now days have a device from mac tools, cost about 100 bucks, which will remove oil from trans and motors, just insert tube and pull handle a few times, well worth the 100 dollars, can even evacuate gas, anti freeze etc. keeps the mess off of the garage floor, and has rings around cylinder each ring = 1 quart. debbie ann you keep breaking them visit my site we ship em

Visiting Guest

06-01-02, 06:51 PM   #10  
storminnorman
ps, sorry missed the symptoms you described.
is your transmission an overdrive? sounds like it could be an aod, if so with symptoms you described your tv cable grommet at throttle body could have broken and fell out due to heat, if so your trans is running low line psi, needs to be fixed asap, do not try and drive heavy acceleration, will fry the 3/4 clutches and od band quick

Visiting Guest

06-01-02, 11:51 PM   #11  
Debbie Ann
Hi Storminnorman..... Yes, the transmission is an Automatic Overdrive.

you said to me.....
"your tv cable grommet at throttle body could have broken and fell out due to heat, if so your trans is running low line psi, needs to be to be fixed asap."

Is it possible that I could tell/see if the grommet is broken? Is it possible for me to tell if it is running low line psi? Is this job only for a transmissoin shop? I'm very low on cash. I know I have to have it serviced at a shop, what do I need to know, so that I wouldn't get ripped off? Thank you very much for your help.
Debbie

06-02-02, 12:00 PM   #12  
The cable mentioned might be hard to see without the engine cover removed.If you can see the throttle linkage/cable where it attaches to the throttle body/carburator,see if you see anything that looks like it's not attached(maybe just lying there).Have someone(maybe daughter)with the engine off,push on the gas pedal while you look at it,the cable mentioned will be attached to this linkage/cable and run down towards the transmission.

Visiting Guest

06-02-02, 12:54 PM   #13  
Debbie Ann
Thank you so much fordtech........... that is a great idea. I'll do it and let you know how I did.
..................... Debbie

Visiting Guest

06-02-02, 03:07 PM   #14  
storminnorman
the tv linkage grommet is about a 3.00 part, i have heard that ford will take care of this for you, actually i know i have installed alot of them for no charge, when a customer comes in with a ford/lincoln/mercury with aod and managment asks me to check vehicle, i usually ask the customer along, pop in a new grommet if needed, road test with customer to see if they still have a problem, if not i send them on there merry way. i was actually fired from an aamco transmission shop for doing that, down in florida. the manager (CHRIS SULLIVAN) asked me to drive this lincoln this older gentleman brought in, i asked the customer what was it doing he told me, so i ckd linkage sure enough it was off, i fixed it took the old fellow for a drive all fixed now, went back to manager with customer and told manager what i found, and that the customers car was fixed, he was hot as wet hornet, when customer left said i screwed him out of 10% of 1500.00 job, that piece of rubbish is now in your area (california) whatch out for him. years later he was no longer there went back to "light house point" aamco shop to work the new owner (bob parker)was as dirty as they get, pulling transmissions out and painting them, alot of them was ford tv grommet problems, i refused to touch a unit if it was a wash and paint, keep thourough records atleast 2-3 per week, went to attorney general, since then he has lost his liscence to operate an aamco shop. i believe he now has a tune up shop in hollywood florida, hmmmm i wonder if he spray paints spark plugs.
ps, debbie on front page of my site (link below) i mention things to look for when visiting a transmission shop, to avoid being ripped off.

Last edited by storminnorman; 06-02-02 at 05:30 PM.

Search this Thread