Replacing CV joints

Old 05-29-02, 09:25 PM
GTdriver
Visiting Guest
Replacing CV joints

How difficult is it to replace front axles(CVjoints) on a '90 Honda Accord EX, 2.2L, 5 speed, no ABS? This is my daughter's car and when I rotated her tires this past weekend I noticed both CVjoint boots are torn beyond repair and most if not all of the grease is gone. 180,000miles; she's owned car for 2-3 years and she has no record if or when joints were ever replaced prior to purchase. I was thinking about doing this myself; is it just a matter of unbolting the axles on both ends and bolting them back on or is there more to it than that? I couldn't tell how they're attached. And all I have is a floor jack so that may make it even harder trying to replace them lying on my back. I have replaced alternators, belts, exhaust manifold, shocks, thermostats on cars before--but no major mechanical work. So I'm wondering if I'm getting in over my head trying to replace axles. Also, there is a clicking sound when she turns either left or right which I understand can mean that the joints need to be replaced. Any tricks/tips would be appreciated. Do I need any special tools?
Thank you.
GTdriver

Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-02, 10:26 PM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
Cheapest way to go is to replace the axles w/ quality reman. units.

You'll need a 1/2" drive breaker bar, a 36mm axle nut socket and a 1/2" drive torque wrench, as well as basic hand tools and jack stands. Click here for axle R&R info.

Old 05-30-02, 05:45 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

I agree with Knuckles. Also, a local Autozone should be able to rent you the tools you don't have. Can try that route too.

Old 05-30-02, 06:20 PM
GTdriver
Visiting Guest
Replacing CV joints

Knuckles and Joe_F:
Thanks so much for your very knowledgeable insight. With such detailed advice, I should be able to do this blindfolded! Really appreciate it.
GTdriver